If you’ve been injured in an accident in a public place, call our No Win, No Fee personal injury solicitors for a free consultation on 0808 175 8000 or start your claim online and we will call you.

Our solicitors are nationally respected specialists in personal injury law, so you can have complete confidence that we have the expertise to help you seek justice if you’ve suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, even if they were only partly to blame.

Swimmer Recovers £27,000 for Swimming Pool Slip

Read case study

Claiming compensation for an accident in public

All companies and organisations have a duty of care to people who visit their premises, including employees from other companies and members of the public. Those responsible for business premises must take all reasonable measures to assess and reduce if not remove risks to the health and safety of visitors, to ensure they aren’t in danger of injury while visiting any part of the premises.

Councils also have a responsibility to make sure that all roads, pavements and bridle paths are well-maintained and clear of defects to avoid accidents.

Examples of accidents and injuries in public places include:

  • Slips, trips and falls. These incidents can happen for a number of reasons, from a poorly maintained pavement that has been neglected by the local authority, to a tripping hazard such as a loose cable being left out in a shop.
  • Dog bites. If you’re bitten or otherwise injured by a dog in a public place, you could be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries, as well as the distress that such an incident can cause. Dog owners and handlers have a responsibility to prevent any dangerous behaviour by their animals. Our solicitors can help you to claim compensation for dog bite injuries, even if the owner doesn’t have pet insurance or you aren’t sure who the owner of the dog is.
  • Sports accidents and gym injuries. If an injury occurs during a training session, sports match or when using gym equipment and it could easily have been prevented if certain safety measures had been taken, you may be able to claim compensation. For example, if a playing surface isn’t properly maintained or a faulty piece of gym equipment isn’t fixed, replaced or marked as ‘out of use’, this could lead to a serious injury and the need for ongoing medical attention and rehabilitation.
  • Supermarket accidents. Shops and supermarkets can be hazardous places if rigorous health and safety standards aren’t maintained. For example, if a product is spilled onto the floor and not cleaned up or ‘wet floor’ signs aren’t put out during cleaning, it’s easy for someone to slip and fall. Similarly, injuries can happen due to broken glass or falling objects.
  • Children’s accidents. Children are often prone to suffering accidents, but on occasions where someone else’s negligence or a lack of proper safety measures caused or was partially responsible for an accident, you could be entitled to claim compensation. If your child has sustained an injury in public, such as in a park, shopping centre, school or nursery, contact Slater and Gordon’s personal injury specialists as soon as possible.

If you’ve experienced any of the above incidents and would like to start a claim, or if you aren’t sure whether or not you have a valid case, simply call Slater and Gordon Lawyers on freephone 0808 175 8000 for legal advice you can trust.

Local authorities’ responsibility

If your accident takes place on publicly owned land or a council property, you may be able to seek compensation from the local authority.

In order to be successful in your claim, you must be able to prove that the person responsible for maintaining the land was negligent in their duty. For example, you may have to prove that an organisation failed to maintain a public pavement and allowed it to fall into such a state of disrepair that it caused an avoidable accident leading to a member of the public sustaining injuries. Our injury in public place claims solicitors can help with this, gathering all the evidence and drawing on their collective decades of expertise to present your case as clearly and persuasively as possible.

For more information on making a claim against your local council or to discuss what happened, please don’t hesitate to call our personal injury solicitors on freephone 0808 175 8000 or use our online contact form.

How Slater and Gordon help

We’re one of the UK's largest and most well-known consumer law firms, with offices across the country in locations including London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Cambridge, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield.

Wherever you live and no matter where the incident occurred, we can provide you with immediate assistance. With some of the UK’s leading and most experienced personal injury solicitors, you can be sure you’ll receive only the best legal advice.

Many of the solicitors at Slater and Gordon Lawyers are members of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel, the Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL) and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

No Win, No Fee

98% of our public liability compensation claims are funded through a Conditional Fee Agreement, more commonly known as a No Win, No Fee agreement. This means there’s no financial risk to you when you make a claim.

If you’ve sustained an injury in a public place, please contact us to discuss what happened and for advice on whether you could claim compensation. Call our No Win, No Fee solicitors on freephone 0808 175 8000 or start your claim online.