Personal injury

Personal injury claims on behalf of others

Do you have a friend or family member who has suffered a personal injury but can't claim compensation themselves? You may be able to claim on their behalf with Slater and Gordon. We are leading claims solicitors, offering a No Win No Fee service in most personal injury cases.

Young man and little girl outdoors on a sunny day

No Win No Fee Compensation

Slater and Gordon is one of Britain's leading personal injury claim firms, so we're here to help you help your friend or loved one to receive the compensation they deserve. Call Slater and Gordon on freephone 0161 830 9632 or contact us online to speak to one of our legal experts today.

Find out more about No Win No Fee personal injury claims

Contact us

Can I claim injury compensation for someone else?

The law recognises that sometimes people who are entitled to claim injury compensation are unable to do so for themselves. That's why it is possible for close family or even friends to act on their behalf in order to help them to claim the injury compensation they deserve. There are a number of circumstances that might lead to this, as we explain below. And, if you want to discuss the possibility of making a claim on someone else's behalf, our expert solicitors will be happy to discuss the situation with you.

Can I claim on behalf of a child?

Some of the most tragic cases we deal with involve children. In these cases, it's right and proper for the parents or guardians to pursue injury compensation on the child's behalf acting as their 'Litigation Friend'. The law also prohibits compensation claims by anyone below the age of 18, so you can often help younger friends and family members to claim rightful compensation. Sometimes court approval may be needed in order to claim on behalf of a child.

However, it's worth knowing that those injured when they are below the age of 18 have the right to claim injury compensation in their own right for three years from the date of their 18th birthday, which means until the day before their 21st birthday.

Can I claim on behalf of someone with diminished mental capacity?

There are all sorts of reasons why someone might not be able to claim injury compensation for themself, and diminished mental capacity, whether it was caused by the injury or not, is one of them. That's why the Mental Capacity Act 2005 enables you to make a compensation claim on behalf of a friend or family member who lacks mental capacity as a result of:

  • A brain injury
  • An illness such as Alzheimer's or Dementia
  • A mental illness or learning difficulties

If you want to know more about claiming on someone else's behalf under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, talk to one of our claims experts today.

Can I claim on behalf of someone with life-changing injuries?

When someone suffers such serious injuries that they would be unable to pursue an injury compensation claim on their own behalf, it's perfectly normal for a close friend or family member to act for them on their behalf. Our experienced and understanding legal experts can tell you more.

Find out about claiming injury compensation for others.

Claiming after a fatal accident

If you were to lose a loved one due to an accident that was not their fault, you may be able to claim compensation, especially if you were related to them, cohabiting and financially dependent upon them. Click here for more information on claiming for a loved one who has suffered a fatal accident.

Case studies

£80,000 for Post-Traumatic Arthritis after Work Accident

A man injured after falling down a set of stairs at work received £80,000 in damages after being told he had developed post-traumatic arthritis.

£23,000 for Whiplash and Other Soft Tissue Injuries

A woman received over £20,000 compensation after she sustained whiplash and other soft tissue injuries following a road traffic accident.

£10,000 for Teaching Assistant after Classroom Assault

Slater and Gordon Solicitor was instructed by a Teaching Assistant who was assaulted while carrying out her duties.

Start your online conveyancing quote now

Click below to get an instant quote

woman on a phone

Would you rather speak to us?

One of our friendly advisors would be happy to speak to you.

Call us for free on 0330 107 5052