Personal injury claims process explained
Our personal injury claims solicitors have written this guide to help explain the process from start to finish.
No Win No Fee Compensation
Find out more about No Win No Fee personal injury claimsContact us
How do I know if I have a claim?
Even this stage in the claims process can be difficult. After an accident neither party may admit fault which can slow the process down. It is key at this stage that you keep all relevant information and photographs well organised and make notes as you may struggle to remember clearly at a later date. Then get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can help you establish whether or not you have a claim.What to do after an accident
How does the claims process work?
- Give us some information about your accident: To start the claim you should get in contact with us. One of our friendly advisors will discuss the circumstances of your accident and make an assessment on whether or not it is something our specialist solicitors can help with.
- Talk to one of our solicitors: One of our solicitors will review and assess your case details. They will most likely want to talk to you, either over the phone or in person to ask questions.
- Medical: We may need to arrange a medical for you. This is not always the case, but when we do this it is done so a specialist can fully assess the extent of your injuries and recommend what kind of treatment you may need to undergo, any lifestyle adaptations you may need such as car or , but importantly how long these injuries may stay with you.
- Interim payments: If it is a case where immediate medical expenses are required we may be able to help get interim payments to help with the cost whilst the claim takes place.
- Claim: Your solicitor will now work with you to submit your claim, this may be against an individual, their insurer or potentially against a private company or their insurer. Regardless, you will be kept informed at every step.
- Negotiations: Ideally neither party wants cases to go to court, so usually a couple of rounds of negotiations may be undertaken between us on your behalf and the defendant's solicitors. We will attempt to get you a fair sum of money that will cover a variety of costs your accident may have left you with.
- Court: If negotiations do not yield a satisfactory result, our team will take the matter to court. This is very unlikely as matters are usually settled beforehand however, if you do need to make any court appearances, your trained solicitor will be beside you every step of the way to support you.
- Payment: You receive your money and we recover our costs from the other side. Depending on the nature of our agreement, we may take a small percentage of your winnings.
Really helpful and always on the other side of the phone if needed. Quick and easy service. Ashley
Everything is moving along quickly and smoothly. Good professional service I'm glad I chose slater and gordon Kenny Jackson
Excellent communication, in constant contact with the latest info regarding your case. David