Will Cornwell Principal Lawyer, Personal Injury
Will is a Principal Lawyer based in Slater and Gordon’s London office. He is a specialist in the field of personal injury law with expertise representing clients who have sustained life-changing injuries. He also represents families of those who have suffered fatal injuries.
At the heart of Will’s work is a drive to ensure that pursuing a personal injury claim is about more than just recovering compensation. He is well attuned to the profound impact that serious injuries have on his clients and their families. How the legal process can support his clients through their recovery and rehabilitation is always at the forefront of his mind and alongside the legal claim, facilitating early treatment, care and rehabilitation is a core objective of his work.
The Legal 500 lists Will as a recommended lawyer who is “pragmatic, realistic and hardworking” and recent client testimonials have included “We could not have wished for a more professional, caring and supportive solicitor” and “Will Cornwell is excellent in every way……I trusted his advice absolutely”. Elements of his work have variously been described by senior barristers as “a tour de force” and “first class”.
Will pursues his cases with compassion and dedication. He is fortunate to be supported by a superb team of lawyers and paralegals within Slater and Gordon and he draws on the talents of some of London’s best barristers, with whom he has established links.
Charity work is important to Will. He represents the firm as member of the RoadPeace legal panel; and is lead lawyer for the firm’s legal panel membership with The Silverlining Brain Injury Charity. Will has delivered training on a range of subjects including road traffic accident reconstruction; the interplay between the litigation process and rehabilitation; and inquests. He has recently been interviewed on ITV News in relation to road safety issues.
Recent successes include:-
- Representing the claimant in a successful Court of Appeal challenge in the case of Bellman v Northampton Recruitment Ltd  EWCA Civ 2214. The claimant had been assaulted by his boss, resulting in a traumatic brain injury, and his tenacity in pursuing the claim against his employer resulted in an extension of the boundaries of the law of vicarious liability.
- Achieving a settlement in excess of £10 million for a young lady who sustained a traumatic brain injury in a road traffic collision.
- Recovering a substantial sum on behalf of a man who suffered an above knee amputation following a fall on private land.
- Negotiating a settlement of nearly £2 million in a claim on behalf of a cyclist who fell victim to a careless driver and sustained a traumatic brain injury.
- Securing a compromise settlement in excess of £1 million on behalf of a bereaved widow following the death of her husband in a road traffic accident.
- Personal injury
- Road traffic accident claims
- Employers’ liability
- Brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Serious injury
- Fatal accidents
- People management
- Since 2013 Slater and Gordon
- 2012 – 2013 Fentons Solicitors
- 2008 – 2012 Irwin Mitchell
- Inns of Court Law School, London
- Senior litigator with the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
Recent Testimonials for Will Cornwell
“We could not have wished for a more professional, caring and supportive solicitor than the one who conducted our case – Will Cornwell. He made a difficult and stressful experience much easier and bearable and for that we are truly grateful”
Mrs B, London
“Will Cornwell is excellent in every way. He worked very hard for my case and I trusted his advice absolutely. Not only is Will professional but also empathetic – he helped me a lot during a difficult time. He is a real asset to Slater and Gordon.”
Mr Y, London
“Will Cornwell talked us through every stage of the case thoughtfully and carefully.”
Ms B, London