Holding baby to take first steps


What happens to my children if I die?

Tragedies, whether through natural disasters, accidents or attacks often lead us to consider what the arrangements would and should be for our children in the event we die.

11 April 2016

I am often asked by clients what measures they can take to ensure that their children are cared for by their chosen guardians in the event anything were to happen to them.

If you are the only holder of parental responsibility you can appoint a guardian in your will, and although this can be challenged, it is a firm starting point.

Where parental responsibility is shared, you can only make a valid guardianship appointment in your will if you have an order which means the child lives with you. If this is not the case, you can still set out your wishes and the reasons behind them in your will, but it will not have the same automatic activation, and it’s more easily open to challenge.

If for any reason you consider a surviving parent unsuitable to care for a child, it can be prudent to make a record of those concerns.

How does the court decide?

There is no legal presumption that a child must live with a biological parent after the death of the other. In assessing where a child should live, the court considers the welfare of the child above all else. They will consider the respective pros and cons of each available option and decide which arrangement would best meet the physical and emotional needs of that particular child.

There will be times when it is considered best for a child to be cared for by the surviving parent, and there will be times when other family members, or friends, are considered the more suitable option. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned will be an important consideration, but the weight attached varies, depending on the age and maturity of the child concerned.

A common concern parents have is if anything were to happen to them, their children could be automatically sent to live with a parent who they’ve had no contact with for many years, and they will lose contact with the extended family who’ve had an important role in their life.

Any family members who were close to a child can apply for an order protecting future contact with the child.

It’s always best if you can agree child arrangements in person than for there to be litigation, especially when those involved are suffering the loss of a close friend or relative. However, there are occasions when orders need to be made by the court to confer legal status and parental responsibility on those who will care for the child, which cannot be granted by consent alone. In such circumstances, it is possible for orders to be made by agreement, and without contested hearings.

Having a plan

As hard as it can be, having discussions about what would happen in the event either parent died, and making wishes known, can mean there is no conflict if it happens, and everyone simply agrees to co-operate to implement what they know has been deemed to be the best arrangement. I have seen cases where both sides of the dispute have been doing what they believe the deceased parent would want, but each believing that to be something very different.

The important thing is for parents to be assured that where children are concerned, courts never impose arbitrary rules about where and with whom a child should live which would not be in their best interests. Plus, courts always consider alternative arrangements were the relevant applications are made.

When to seek advice

If you need legal help with a children law issue contact the family law solicitors at Slater and Gordon Lawyers on 0330 041 5869 or contact us online.

All information was correct at time of publication.

Find out more from our experts
Father slouching and embracing son
Children's law
How can our children's law solicitors help?
We understand that putting the needs of your child first is important, so our expert team is on hand to offer you the best advice. No matter how complex the situation is, we will work with you to reach the best agreement for you and your children. Click on our areas of expertise below to learn more about how we can help you, or call us now if you’d rather chat through your options.
Young family with two children playing in the water
Family law
Child arrangements after divorce
The Family Court puts the needs and safety of children first at all times, sometimes using child arrangement orders to do so. Our child arrangement order lawyers are here to help if you need to apply for a court order.
father holding new born in nursery
Family law
Financial provision for children
Financial provision for children includes the following categories: obligatory child maintenance, top up child maintenance; housing provision; lump sum payment to cover expenses and school fees. If these matters can be agreed, the terms can be part of a written agreement between the parents.
Expert guide
Legal advice guide on separation, divorce & children
Separation and Divorce for children is undoubtedly an upsetting, stressful and unsettling time. This legal advice guide highlights some of the legal issues that you should consider when separating from the parent of your child. The Court is not able to make an order for a child who has reached the age of 16, unless the Court is satisfied that the circumstances of the case are exceptional.
Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top