Back to Press Releases

0 stars Article rating

Husband Awarded Six-Figure Settlement After Hospital Admits Mistakes Which Led to Wife’s Death

Husband Awarded Six-Figure Settlement After Hospital Admits Mistakes Which Led to Wife’s Death

A pensioner whose wife died ‘in agony’ after a catalogue of hospital mistakes has been awarded a six-figure payout. 

Anthony Lindley, 70, believes Susan would still be alive today if medics at Tameside Hospital had spotted the blockage in her bowel that was causing her so much pain.  

Despite being admitted three times with severe stomach pain and vomiting in the two months prior to her death, it was only after being transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital that the problem was finally diagnosed.

But by then it was too late and the 54-year-old, a devoted mum-of-two and grandmother-of-five, died during an operation to try and save her.

Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has now accepted that had she had surgery sooner, it is likely she would have survived.

The couple, from Stalybridge, had been married for more than 30 years and Anthony said he is still struggling to come to terms with Susan’s death in August 2014.

It was only after the former supermarket worker died that doctors discovered she had also been suffering from crippling Crohn’s disease.

Anthony said: “Susan was in absolute agony for weeks before her death. She was screaming, she was in that much pain, and she couldn’t eat or drink.

“I kept asking for help, but I just felt that no one was listening.

“When we got to Wythenshawe they found the blockage in her bowel straight away and I was so relieved they were finally going to do something to make her better.

“They told me to go home and get some sleep, but I had only just got into bed when they phoned and told me to go back because she’d gone.”

Retired coach driver Anthony has now found love again with his second wife Joyce, but says he still thinks of Susan every day.

He planted a tree and has dedicated a bench to her in Greenfield, Oldham, where he regularly visits to lay flowers.

He added: “It was a horrible death, I wouldn’t want anyone else to have to go through that.

“If they had operated on her earlier she would still be here and that’s what I can’t forget.

“I know nothing will bring her back, I just wanted to know what had happened and for the hospital to learn from its mistakes.”

His lawyer, Charlotte Moore, a clinical negligence specialist at Slater and Gordon, added: “Susan was admitted to Tameside Hospital three times with severe abdominal pain and vomiting, but surgery was not performed, which was so desperately needed and which would have saved her life.

“The realisation that her death could have been avoided has been tough for Anthony to come to terms with and has made him determined to fight for answers so that no one else has to go through such a painful and tragic ordeal.”

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!