07 October 2015
Family Appeal for Answers over Grandfather’s Asbestos Death
A grieving family has appealed for help to find out how a grandfather was exposed to fatal quantities of asbestos.
Gerald Taylor died aged 76 in December, last year, after a long battle with lung disease linked to contact with large amounts of the deadly substance.
The father-of-two, from Barry, had described working in a “haze of asbestos all the time” while an electrical maintenance contractor in Aberthaw B Power Station near Cardiff between 1967 and 1979.
His family has instructed law firm Slater and Gordon, which specialises in industrial disease cases, to launch legal action against his former employers Alstom (Formerly GEC Power Engineering Turbine Generators).
His daughter Cammelia Hooper, 45, called for anyone who worked with her father, or in the same power station around the same period and saw asbestos, to come forward with information about the working conditions.
She said: “My dad’s condition really deteriorated towards the end. It made him very weak.
“My mum remembers him coming home from the power station covered in dust – it was a dirty and unpleasant environment for him.
“We now want to find out exactly where and how my dad came into contact with this dreadful asbestos.”
In a statement made before his death, Mr Taylor said: “On virtually every day I worked with laggers who were mixing loose asbestos with water all around me. They poured the loose asbestos from bags into drums filled with water which created an enormous amount of asbestos fibres being released into the air.
“As a result I was working in the vicinity of the boilers I was working in a haze of asbestos all of the time. As soon as we had put in the trays which carried the cables, a white layer of asbestos settled on them.”
He added: “At no stage was I ever provided with specific clothing or equipment that would have provided suitable protection from the dust which I would have inhaled on a regular basis.”
The family’s lawyer, Alison Kerr of Slater and Gordon, said: “Mr Taylor’s life was cut short because of his contact with asbestos.
“Despite the risks of asbestos having been known for decades, he was still sent to work in dangerous conditions. Now his family want to make those who exposed him to those conditions accountable.
“It is important for us to hear from former colleagues and staff who could shed some more light on the working conditions within Aberthaw B Power Station near Cardiff during the 1960s and 70s.”
Anyone with information should contact Alison Kerr on 020 7657 1661 or email Alison.Kerr@slatergordon.co.uk
Take a second to rate this article
Related Press ReleasesRSS feed
Friday 7th September 2018
Wednesday 3rd January 2018
Friday 25th August 2017