27 September 2016
Laptop Charger Causes Horrific Burns to Toddler Aged Two
A two-year-old boy suffered serious burns to his hands after a laptop charger he was holding caught fire in his hand.
Lucas Hennessey from Bolton, Greater Manchester, was rushed to A&E and spent three days in Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital after the incident involving the charger pack that was powering his mother’s Dell laptop.
He now faces two years of physiotherapy to regain the movement in his fingers.
Mum, Kelly, 28, a university student, ordered the laptop and charger from the Amazon website.
She told The Bolton News she is now seeking legal advice.
She said: “I felt so helpless and guilty when he was in hospital, he only picked up the charger to move it out of the way, you would never expect it to cause the damage it has.
“I have to do everything for him because he only has one hand to use.
“The hospital has kept hold of the charger for the time being and I have contacted a solicitor to deal with it on my behalf.
“He won’t be able to go to nursery for a good two months and will miss seeing his friends. I feel awful for him.”
Amazon said, since being notified of the incident, the product has been removed from its website and the third party seller suspended while the matter is investigated.
A Dell spokesperson said: “Dell takes all customer reports of potential product safety issues very seriously.
“We have received a report involving a Dell branded AC adapter, and as we do with all such reports, Dell will work to capture the involved product and conduct an investigation and we will take appropriate actions based on the results of our investigation.”
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Monday 05th December 2016
Thursday 20th October 2016
Monday 10th October 2016