24 December 2012
Construction workers to launch industrial disease claims?
Compensation could be claimed by a group of construction workers who carried out the refurbishment of a Trafford pub, as they were exposed to life-threatening asbestos fibres.
Members of staff were put in danger of inhaling the dangerous substance as they fitted cabling and installed pipes at the Sale Hotel on Marsland Roads.
Contractors Shaun Hodgson and David Harold, who have been fined by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), were taken to Trafford Magistrates' Court after it emerged they failed to identify asbestos at 32 different locations in the property.
The men produced a report following a visit to the site in May 2011, which did not highlight the presence of large amounts of the fibres in the basement - leaving workers exposed and in danger of getting poisoned.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Matt Greenly said: "Sadly Mr Harold and Mr Hodgson's work fell way below acceptable standards, despite them being well trained and seemingly experienced asbestos surveyors."
Posted by Francesca Witney