An NHS trust has awarded the family of a man who died in its care in 2006 a total of £15,000 in clinical negligence compensation.
According to the BBC, 65-year-old Albert Matthews was being treated at Telford's Princess Royal Hospital for breathing difficulties and pneumonia when he was given painkillers and sedatives which are known to potentially affect the human respiratory system.
Consequently, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals Trust - which also runs the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in the county of Shropshire - has given Mr Matthews' relatives £15,000 for the error which led to the patient's death.
Mr Matthews was diagnosed with pneumonia after being admitted to the medical facility in September 2006, but went into cardiac arrest after being administered the drug Lorazepam along with Tramadol and Haloperidol, the news source stated.
Mary Morris, the man's wife, spoke of her relief that the hospital had "finally accepted responsibility for their error" and added "we sincerely hope that this never happens again".
Contact our clinical negligence solicitors on 0800 916 9049 or email email@example.com if you would like advice on any medical negligence matter
Posted by Richard Saunders