Back to Legal Industry News

Family of man who died in hospital seek compensation

Family of man who died in hospital seek compensation
The family of a man who died after being poisoned in hospital are seeking compensation.

Retired builder Alan Moir was in Woodend Hospital - which opened in 1927 and is located in Aberdeen - when he took pills he found in his bedside cabinet and mistakenly thought were painkillers, the Sun reports.

In fact, the tablets were disinfectant and, two days after ingesting them, the 78-year-old died.

His death was officially recorded as pneumonia but his widow Margaret, as well as son and daughter Alan and Teresa, believe the medication error was partly to blame.

They have now launched legal proceedings against NHS Grampian.

Commenting on the case, Teresa said: "He only took the tablets because they were left by his bed. He started screaming and blue stuff was pouring out his mouth."

It is not about the money, but rather about highlighting what happened to her father, she added.