Back to Legal Industry News

Holiday illness victim wins £240k compensation

Holiday illness victim wins £240k compensation
A woman who fell seriously ill after eating contaminated food while on holiday has been awarded £240,000 in compensation from travel company First Choice.

Beryl Rushton told Sky News that she was left disabled as a result of contracting bacterial gastroenteritis while at the Tropical Beach Resort in the Dominican Republic seven years ago.

The 66-year-old from Accrington was eating a red snapper for dinner and bit into a black worm wrapped around the insides of the fish. She started feeling ill not long after and eventually suffered temporary blindness and organ failure.

"I used to walk six miles a day. Now I can't shower myself or dress myself. I've only got the use of 31 per cent of the left hand side of my body," she remarked.

It is thought that the compensation, which will pay for Ms Rushton's medical fees, is one of the largest ever for a holiday illness claim of this kind.

First Choice no longer uses the Tropical Beach Resort and was quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying the health and safety of its customers is one of its top priorities.