Back to Legal Industry News

Worker dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Worker dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning
A teenage girl who worked in a London takeaway restaurant has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, it has emerged.

The 16-year-old was preparing to open the fish and chip shop in Bexleyheath, south-east London, for lunch.

Meanwhile, another youth - believed to be 17 years old - is said to be in hospital in a serious condition.

A post-mortem has been conducted and the police are awaiting the results of toxicology tests.

Commenting on the case, a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said they were currently treating the deaths as "unexplained", the BBC reports.

He added: "At this very early stage it is believed both victims suffered carbon monoxide poisoning."

A man has been arrested in connection with the death and has since been released on police bail.

Produced by the incomplete burning of fuel, carbon monoxide is poisonous and breathing in even a small amount can cause loss of consciousness or death.

According to figures cited by the NHS, more than 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the UK.