Back to Legal Industry News

Worker electrocution results in company fine

Worker electrocution results in company fine
A company has been dealt a fine following an incident in which one of its workers suffered an electrocution.

During a hearing at Beverly crown court, Hogarth (Construction) - which is based at Church Hill in South Cave - was ordered to pay £4,000, plus costs of £1,616 after pleading guilty to charges under Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

The accident happened in September 2006 when employee Mark Dougherty was clearing an area of a construction site.

He picked up an item he thought was rubbish but which was in fact a termination box on a live three phase 400 volt cable.

As a result, he suffered burns to his hands and face.

A subsequent investigation found that Hogarth had known about the existence of live underground cables at the site but had neglected to inform workers.