Two firms have been fined a total of over £200,000 after a nine-year-old girl drowned in a water tank.
Lisa Regan from Colne, along with two other children, had been playing in the car park of BSN Medical, a textile finishing factory, when she strayed on to nearby reservoirs in May 2004.
The other children sought help when they realised Ms Regan was floating face down in the water. She was taken to hospital unconscious but died later that night.
At the time of the incident, the main factory gates were off their hinges due to work being carried out on the site and a gate which led to the reservoir was secured only by nylon rope.
Both BSN Medical, which was responsible for the reservoir and Empress Mills, which owned the site, pled guilty to breaches in health and safety at Preston Crown Court.
Judge Andrew Gilbart commented: "This tragic death could have been prevented by doing something as simple as making a trip to a local DIY shop to buy a padlock," the Nelson Leader reports.
Recently, a drinker from West Moors was awarded £1,200 after a landlord accidentally served him a pint containing bleach.