16 April 2007
Ex-footballer suing over dad’s asbestos-cancer death
A former Rochdale FC player is suing his late father’s employers a year and a half after his death from the mesothelioma form of lung cancer, caused by the inhalation of asbestos.
Mark Hilditch is claiming that his father, Jack, was regularly exposed to asbestos during the 25 years he worked at the Osram lightbulb factory in Shaw and in 2006, a coroner ruled that his death was caused by industrial injuries.
While the factory closed down in 2000, the Hilditch family are claiming damages from its owners, who now operate as Marconi Mobile Systems, of between £50,000 and £100,000.
Commenting on the court case, Mark Hilditch stated: "We did not really have any objective at first, but if the family of any other Osram staff who died in similar circumstances realise what has happened maybe they can follow the same path."
The grandfather of four died just four weeks after being diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Just recently, lawyers in England called for equality in compensation payments for all families of the victims of asbestos-related illnesses, with those in Scotland currently receiving thousands of pounds more in compensation than those in England and Wales.