19 January 2017
Mum’s Death Linked to Asbestos Exposure Following 1983 COD Donnington Fire
I am currently instructed by a family following the death of their mother, which has been linked to exposure to asbestos as the result of a fire at an old army storage warehouse at COD Donnington in Telford in 1983.
Susan Maughan who died in October 2015 at the age of 63, lived near COD Donnington at the time and ash containing asbestos was scattered over a 15 square mile area.
Her daughters recall playing in the “snow” as children, and now fear they may also have the asbestos-related disease, which does not manifest for many decades after the initial exposure to asbestos.
The MOD was under a duty to have systems in place to protect the public in the event of a fire breaking out at the Donnington base. The facility was situated in a largely residential area where a fire would inevitably impact on residents, making effective and comprehensive fire safety systems absolutely essential.
The MOD was under a duty to have systems in place to protect the public in the event of a fire breaking out at the Donnington base.
When the fire broke out in 1983, it quickly spread engulfing the extensive buildings and raged until the buildings were seriously damaged. The structures included vast asbestos roofs, common at the time in buildings of that type, which exploded as a result of the fire. Asbestos debris was released into the air along with clouds of asbestos dust. Tragically, lessons were not learned after the 1983 fire. A further fire broke out in 1988 at the same location, again contaminating the surrounding area with asbestos.
Susan is sadly not the first person whose death has been linked to asbestos as a result of the COD Donnington fire.
Paula Ann Nunn died from mesothelioma in September 2015, having reportedly inhaled the asbestos-filled ash that fell in her garden following the blaze.
In 2008, Ellen Paddock tragically died of mesothelioma at the young age of 31 and an inquest linked her death to the fire.
I am also representing clients in two other cases in relation to the same fire.
Register Exposure to Asbestos Today
In the event that you are exposed to asbestos it is important that you register this exposure as soon as possible. This way, in the unfortunate event you are diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease, a trace to the time, place and circumstances can be established in pursuing a future claim. One of the tragedies of being diagnosed with mesothelioma is that the diagnosis is so long after the person was exposed to asbestos that the victim may struggle to remember.
Madelene Holdsworth is a principal lawyer specialising in asbestos claims at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Manchester.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have a highly experienced and specialist team of asbestos compensation solicitors that deal with asbestos claims on a no win no fee basis. For a free consultation call 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we’ll be happy to help you.
Take a second to rate this article
Related PostsRSS feed
Friday 2nd March 2018
Thursday 20th April 2017