Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Will There be an English Inquest Following a Death Overseas

The loss of a loved one overseas is a traumatic time without the legal obstacles. Following such a time, one of your questions may be whether there will be an English inquest following a death overseas.

Of course the loss of a loved one is always a traumatic and difficult time, and if your loved one has died overseas there are a considerable amount of practicalities to work through. Understanding the local laws and regulations can be difficult, the British Embassy or Consular will often be able to be of assistance.


As stated on citizen advice’s website, all deaths must be registered in the country where the person died.

Many families want to repatriate the body of their loved one home, and if this occurs the coroner in the local district in England and Wales will usually hold an inquest here.

If there has been a traumatic death, such as following an accident or unexpected illness overseas, it can be difficult to access information to understand why the death occurred, i.e. accessing a police report, understanding the local courts process can be difficult. We often represent families in these difficult situations, guiding them through the process, with the help of local lawyers, and providing representation at any subsequent inquest in the courts of England and Wales. This can help bereaved family members uncover details of the circumstances of the death.

Why do I Need a Specialist Travel Litigation Lawyer?

In the event you need to pursue a compensation claim for an accident that has occurred overseas, it is important that you choose a specialist travel litigation lawyer rather than a general personal injury lawyer because there are complex issues.

The travel litigation specialists at Slater and Gordon are experts in travel law, including accidents and illnesses and the legal issues surrounding fatalities overseas. For more information on why it is important to contact a travel litigation specialist, read our advice here.

Joanne Berry is a senior travel litigation at Slater and Gordon in Manchester.

For a consultation or legal advice concerning an accident or illness abroad, our No Win, No Fee Solicitors can help you with your claim for compensation.

Call us on Freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.

From outside the UK please call +44 20 7657 1555.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!