Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Who Gets the Children on Mother's Day and Father's Day?

Yet another special occasion dawns on us where parents must consider how to organise contact arrangements.

With the traditional UK family evolving step-parents, grandparents and others may all wish to spend time with their children on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. So we have compiled a list of practical tips for all those wishing to spend time with the children on these special occasions.

What Matters in the Court of Law

When deciding how contact arrangements should take place, the court will consider the welfare checklist. Essentially, the court’s biggest concern is the welfare of the children and what is in their best interests.

Arrangements must be based on what is in a child's best interest. It is difficult to provide a one fits all answer to contact arrangements, however, a good starting point is to consider how old your children are and what time they already spend with each parent.

If arrangements cannot be dealt with directly, then consider speaking to a family solicitor to understand what your rights are. You should first consider if mediation is appropriate. Although mediation is not legally binding it can be an effective way to reach an agreement without the need to go to court.

Practical Top Tips For Parents:

  • Speak to a solicitor at the beginning of the year to arrange contact on Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. By speaking to a solicitor ahead of the occasions, enables negotiations to take place and there will be time to apply to court if needed.
  • Always consider what is in your child’s best interest, not what is convenient to you.
  • If you cannot reach an agreement on whom the children should spend time with, then consider splitting the day in half.
  • Distance can always be an issue so ideally handovers should be shared equally, if this is not possible then perhaps have a mid-way meeting point.

To answer any queries, please contact our specialist child custody solicitors (children law team) to obtain legal advice to understand your rights to your children.

Roz Lidder is a family law solicitor at Slater and Gordon in London.

The UK contact centre at Slater and Gordon Lawyers is open 24/7. You can call us about your divorce at any time on freephone 0800 916 9055 or you can contact us online and we will call you back at a time that suits you.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!