15 January 2016
Abuse Lawyer Speaks to Media about Lord Janner Trial
The Old Bailey has ruled that criminal proceedings against Lord Janner will end.
Former Labour peer Lord Janner, who died last month aged 89, had faced 22 allegations of child sex abuse, said to have been committed against nine young boys over a 20-year period from the 1960s.
A trial of facts was due to be held in April this year but prosecutor Richard Whittam QC, who revealed in court that more charges were due to be brought against Lord Janner, said that the law provided no circumstances where a dead defendant could face trial.
Slater and Gordon's Abuse Lawyer has commented in the media today, including BBC News, on the decision not to press ahead with criminal proceedings against Lord Janner.
Slater and Gordon's Abuse Lawyer, who represents eight of Janner’s alleged victims, said: “My clients are obviously devastated that they are no longer able to give their evidence in a criminal court.
“They understand the reasons why but that doesn’t make up for the real travesty; that many gave their statements decades ago and have been denied justice through a failure to prosecute earlier when Janner was alive and well.
“They sincerely hope that the Goddard Inquiry will prioritise this matter, will allow them to give their evidence in person and will make findings of fact.
“It is vital that all the evidence that has painstakingly been gathered over the years is carefully considered by the Independent Inquiry and that findings of fact are made public.”
The national independent child abuse inquiry, chaired by Justice Lowell Goddard, is underway and will examine, among other things, alleged child abuse by “people of public prominence”, such as politicians and peers.
Slater and Gordon have the UK’s most experienced team of abuse lawyers and are currently representing over 800 survivors of abuse, some of whom were abused by people of public prominence.
Related PostsRSS feed
Wednesday 21st November 2018