10 June 2015
All About Employment Tribunals
Ever wanted to know what an employment tribunal is? Wondered what the most common employment tribunal claims are? Are you trying to work out if you have a claim you could pursue at the employment tribunal? Confused by the fee system for employment tribunals?
The expert Employment Lawyers at Slater and Gordon have written this handy blog to answer your questions and tell you all you need to know about Employment Tribunals in the UK.
What is an Employment Tribunal?
An employment tribunal is a court of justice which is responsible for hearing employment disputes.
What is an Employment Tribunal Claim?
An employment tribunal claim is brought by an employee against an employer. Employment Tribunals generally hear what are known as statutory claims. These are claims which are based on your employment rights.
Employment Tribunals can also make decisions on a limited number of contractual claims. Common disputes between individuals and companies in the UK - heard by employment tribunals - include claims for unfair dismissal, discrimination and redundancy payments.
Who is Entitled to Employment Tribunal Compensation?
If you have been unfairly treated within the workplace or if you have been dismissed you could have an employment tribunal claim and could be entitled to compensation. This can be because of a variety of things, including:
• Unlawful Deductions From Your Wages – Examples include a failure to pay your salary or holiday pay
• Harassment - This could be related to sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief
• Unfair Dismissal
• A Redundancy Payment
• Direct and Indirect Discrimination – This could be discrimination because of sex, maternity, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief
• Unfair treatment or dismissal because you made a “protected disclosure” (whistle-blowing)
• A claim for breach of contract outstanding on termination up to a maximum of £25,000
• Claims under the Working Time Regulations in relation to your entitlement to paid annual leave or daily or weekly rest breaks
If you are not sure if you have a claim or not you can contact the expert Employment Law Solicitors at Slater and Gordon Lawyer UK for an initial consultation.
Do You Need to Pay to Make an Employment Tribunal Claim?
There are fees associated with making an employment tribunal claim.
For example, the initial fee to submit an employment tribunal claim for unfair dismissal is £250. If the claim goes to a hearing there will be another £950 hearing fee. If you are on a low income you might be entitled to a fee remission where you do not have to pay the fee, or you pay a reduced fee.
If you’re considering making an employment tribunal claim contact our expert Employment Solicitors on freephone 0800 916 9060 or contact us online and we will call you back.