Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Stripy House to Be Stripped of its Stripes

By now, most people will have seen the incredibly bold striped house in the London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea either in the news or in person. The stripes were painted on the house under orders from its owner, Mrs Lisle-Mainwaring, in apparent defiance and indignation that planning permission to demolish the house, excavate a new basement with leisure complex and construct a replacement house above was declined.

Local neighbours objected to such plans on the basis of not wanting such extensive work happening in their street. But by rallying against the plans, they fell foul of Mrs Lisle-Mainwaring who decided to paint her house white and red striped in protest after the planning row.

The local authority has now stepped in following numerous complaints from neighbours. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has served a section 215 notice under the Town and Country Planning Act on the owner of the property, which requires the house to be repainted back to its original white.

The authority is enforcing planning law allowing them to order owners to clean up a property or land that is damaging the area. The owner has a right to appeal against the notice, but if no appeal is forthcoming, and the notice is not complied with by 3 July 2015, the council can carry out the works itself and charge the owner the cost of carrying out the works.

The property in question also sits in a Conservation Area which brings its own set of rules and regulations. In these areas, there are tight planning controls over what can be done to a property, including its external appearance.

Usually, homeowners are allowed to paint their house any colour they like, within reason, but there are additional restrictions in conservation areas and for listed buildings. There may also be legal title restrictions which should be checked. It is always a good idea to check with your local planning office before painting your house a bold colour or pattern because if they don’t like it, they can order you to change it.

If you need any legal advice regarding your residential property please contact our expert Property Solicitors at Slater and Gordon. Call us on freephone 0800 916 9083 or contact us online and we will call you.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers are one of the largest law firms in the UK. We have over 1,450 staff and offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Cardiff, Halifax, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Derby, Wakefield, Merseyside and meeting rooms in Hull, Yorkshire and in Bramhall, Cheshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!