Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Injured whilst Camping – Who’s Liable?

Planning a camping trip in England and Wales? Failing to prepare may well be preparing for a fail if injured in an accident whilst camping or caravanning.

If you’re thinking of heading for the great outdoors, channelling the inner woodsman in you, or taking the kids for a family camping holiday, it is important to ensure insurance is in place in the event of an unforeseen accident that leads to an injury.

But if injured on a campsite, who is liable? Often it is the case, as with some music festivals, that the campsite owners and management may have rented the space from a landowner. In other instances, a landowner such as a farmer may allow people to camp on their land. Depending on the type of camping experience that you desire - and how far off the beaten track you intend to venture – the outdoors has its fair share potential hazards.

Camping with a resort or camping company is one thing, but for those roughing it, emergency contacts and insurance are highly advisable. In the event of an injury, proving liability can be difficult when willingly heading into the wilderness.

For those headed to appreciate the outdoors on the slightly more-beaten track, insurance can ensure you are covered if injured in a camping accident that wasn’t your fault. Campsite managers should provide a safe environment in which you can enjoy your stay with the peace of mind knowing health and safety measures have been taken to protect visiting campers. The camp site should have public liability insurance for the event of an accident. Along with insurance, regular health and safety checks on electrical points and bathroom facilities should be made.

If the campsite has a swimming pool, this should be supervised at all times by a lifeguard to make sure guests are safe in and around the water. By booking with an established campsite, you can feel safer in the knowledge that these issues will be one less thing to think about.

If you’re heading on a family camping trip it is important to consider the various hazards that could affect a small child. It is a good idea to consult the UK Camping Club to check whether the campsite is suitable for small children.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers offer a free consultation for people injured in an accident in the UK and overseas.

If you’ve been in injured in a camping accident that wasn’t your fault, call our No Win, No Fee Solicitors 24 hours 7 days a week on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers are a leading personal injury law firm with more than 1,450 staff and 18 offices in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Cambridge, Merseyside, Halifax, Sheffield, Newcastle, Wakefield, Derby and meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire and in Hull, Yorkshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!