Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Road Rage on the Rise in the UK

Road rage incidents in the UK are on the rise with one in three drivers saying they have been involved in an aggressive confrontation with another driver.

Research carried out by found that there was a 59% increase in road rage incidents across the UK between 2013 and 2014.

The study, which includes data obtained from 15 police forces, also found that road rage incidents had risen a staggering 70% since 2012 and that more than one in seven people who have experienced road rage say that they have been involved in ten incidents or more.

Some recent road rage stories reported by the press include a driver in Cambridge who drove his car at a pedestrian and then assaulted her and a cyclist who attacked a car driver with his bicycle. It is reported that in both cases there was an altercation beforehand.

These are just two examples. You only have to type “road rage UK” into a search engine to reveal many more. It is understood that road rage incidents account for a number of the 1,700 fatal injuries on our roads each year.

So what can you do if you suffer a personal injury as a result of road rage?

If you suffer injury due to a crime of violence then you may be entitled to claim compensation from a UK Government funded body called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

There are a number of important eligibility criteria, including:

  • A claim must be brought within two years of the crime of violence
  • The applicant’s conduct prior to, during and after the assault is taken into account
  • If the applicant has a criminal record they may be barred from making a claim or compensation may be reduced.

There are restrictions on the type and amount of compensation that is awarded. For example, compensation for loss of earnings is based upon the level of statutory sick pay and the maximum compensation the CICA will pay is £500,000.

CICA claims work differently to regular personal injury claims and you should seek expert legal advice if you are considering pursuing a claim against the CICA.

If there is a vehicle involved in the incident then it might be possible to pursue a personal injury claim against the other driver’s insurance company. Even if the vehicle was uninsured or untraced you may still be able to pursue a claim.

Andrew Zajac is a Personal Injury Solicitor at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers have years of experience in dealing with Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority claims including a significant number of maximum awards.

Call us for a free consultation on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we’ll be happy to help you.

Slater and Gordon are a leading personal injury law firm with 1,450 staff and 18 offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Derby, Merseyside, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Halifax, Newcastle, Wakefield and meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire and in Hull, Yorkshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!