22 May 2014
Former Welder Died from Asbestos Exposure at Work
Blackpool Coroner, Alan Wilson reported that Mr Roy Garnham worked with and was exposed to asbestos materials which led to his asbestosis diagnosis and subsequent death.
Mr Garnham, who was employed as a metal welder, often exposed to the deadly asbestos material, died in February 2014. A post mortem examination which was performed by Dr Mark Sissons at Blackpool Victoria Hospital also stated, “Having examined the lungs and taken samples I was able to confirm this was asbestosis. He clearly had this. I think what led to his death was a chest infection. He was being treated for this. He died as a result of bronchial pneumonia due to asbestosis.”
Dr Sissons added that Mr Garnham’s lungs had begun to calcify and form plaques, a common sign of exposure to asbestos.
Coroner Wilson agreed with Dr Sissons findings adding that Mr Garnham worked with asbestos on a daily basis, “For 10 years from 1958 he worked with a welding company in Nuneaton. He then held another position working with asbestos for two years, before in 1970 starting work with a third welding company. He was exposed to asbestos during the course of his working life.”
Pleural calcification and asbestosis are two common asbestos related conditions that are attributable to occupational asbestos exposure and I have represented a number of clients like Mr Garnham who worked as welders and were constantly exposed to asbestos products, dust and fibres. Sadly, no protection, precautions or warnings of this deadly exposure to asbestos would have been provided to workers like Mr Garnham or his colleagues or anyone else working within the vicinity.
In order to facilitate any future asbestos compensation claim, anyone exposed to asbestos materials in a workplace or at home, particularly prolonged exposure to asbestos dust and fibres, should register any asbestos exposure as soon as possible on the Slater and Gordon Asbestos Register. Simply complete the form online or for assistance call Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 or freephone 0800 916 9046 to register free of charge.
Kevin Johnson is an Asbestos Compensation Solicitor at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Liverpool.
Slater and Gordon offer a free consultation about claiming compensation for asbestos related diseases. Call us on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we will call you.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have over 1,200 staff in 18 offices located in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Halifax, Newcastle, Wakefield and meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire where you can meet with an expert Solicitor.