20 March 2014
Respiratory Nurse with Mesothelioma Settles Claim in Three Months
In a tragic twist of fate, Christopher Haw, a respiratory nurse who once cared for people suffering with Mesothelioma, was himself diagnosed with the terminal cancer.
Mr Haw worked as a respiratory nurse at Pinderfields Hospital and was diagnosed with the asbestos related cancer, Mesothelioma in July 2013.
He believed he was exposed to the asbestos dust and fibres as a result of his employment with Spooner Industries from about April 1962 until about March 1966 as an apprentice engineer based at Ilkley, West Yorkshire.
During the course of his employment Mr Haw was exposed to asbestos dust when drilling, cutting and rasping asbestos boards such as marinate. He was further exposed to the asbestos as a result of working in close proximity to other men who were also cutting, drilling and asbestos containing insulation boards and tape. Unfortunately, no warnings, protective equipment such as respiratory protection were provided.
Subsequently to this employment Mr Haw re-trained as a respiratory nurse, cared and supported those people who were themselves diagnosed with asbestos related respiratory conditions.
I first met Mr Haw in July 2013. I was struck by his life and the turn of events in his employment that saw him care for those with respiratory conditions that could have been asbestos related. I was instructed to proceed with a claim for asbestos compensation on his behalf. Considering the nature of his diagnosis and his age, I was adamant and determined to resolve his claim as quickly as possible. I successfully did this by the end of September 2013, only three months after the initial instructions, and the compensation settlement amount was £235,000.00
Mr Haw was exceptionally thankful for the hard work undertaken to ensure his claim was resolved within his lifetime, as he knew that with the incurable diagnosis of Mesothelioma, this would not always be the case.
Mr Haw said, ‘Thank you for your advice and help over the last few months it has been much appreciated. As for your role in my case, I believe you to be/are a very caring and understanding person, thank you for all you have done.’
Slater and Gordon has successfully represented hundreds of apprentices and industrial workers like Mr Haw who were exposed to asbestos without any knowledge of the dangers and risks involved in working with asbestos materials. Employers should have provided protection to their employees as the majority of the employers knew or had the knowledge that asbestos was dangerous. Our Solicitors have also represented workers who had “bystander” exposure to asbestos while working around other trades people using asbestos products.
Asbestos related diseases such as Mesothelioma have killed thousands of workers in the UK and regrettably thousands more victims will die in the years to come.
Anyone exposed to asbestos fibres, dust or asbestos waste materials should register any exposure as soon as possible. Slater and Gordon maintain a National Asbestos Register, to register free of charge call Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 or freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us and we'll be happy to help.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have over 1,200 staff in 15 locations across England, Scotland & Wales. For a free consultation about claiming compensation for an asbestos related disease call freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Recent PostsRSS feed
Wednesday 21st February 2018
Monday 19th February 2018