Back to Blog

Another Plumber Dies from Mesothelioma Due to Working with Asbestos

Earlier this month I reported the tragic case of Frederick Powell, a 69 year-old plumber who died from Mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos during his career.

Sadly today I report about another plumber, Hugh Smith, who also died from Mesothelioma after his prolonged expose to asbestos at work.

An Inquest has concluded that Hugh Smith of Sudbury died of the asbestos disease, Mesothelioma.  Mr Daniel Sharpstone, Assistant Coroner stated that Mr Smith would have encountered extensive exposure to asbestos during his work as a plumber, which he started in 1956.  Mr Smith was 73 years of age at the time of his death.

Mesothelioma is an aggressive form of lung cancer and the only known cause is as a result of exposure to asbestos.  The death of Mr Smith is a sad reminder of the continued dangers asbestos fibres and material has caused. 

It’s commonly known that plumbers, like Mr Smith, would have been regularly exposed to asbestos as a result of the work they performed, and this exposure would have been on a regular, constant and frequent basis.  No protection, precautions or warnings of this deadly exposure to asbestos would have been provided to workers like Mr Smith or his colleagues, or in fact to anyone else working within the vicinity in which the asbestos was used.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers have successfully represented hundreds of plumbers, pipe laggers and other industrial workers who have been exposed to asbestos and developed an asbestos related disease. We also represent family members exposed to asbestos fibres on work clothes, or who lived close to a facility where asbestos was used on a regular basis.

Anyone exposed to asbestos fibres, dust or asbestos waste materials should register any exposure as soon as possible. Slater and Gordon maintain a National Asbestos Register, to register call Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 or freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.

For asbestos health and safety information please visit the Health and Safety Executive.

Comments