Family law

Grandparent rights

It's a sad fact of life that separation and marriage break-ups can lead to people being unable to see their grandchildren. Our experienced family lawyers are here to assist you with the situation and can help you to re-establish contact with your grandchildren wherever possible.

Senior couple reading a book with granddaughter in the sun

Dedicated family lawyers

Slater and Gordon's team of family lawyers have the empathy and the expertise you need to establish your rights as grandparents. Call us now on 0161 830 9632 or contact us online today and we will call you.

Talk to a family law expert today

Contact us

What rights do I have as a grandparent?

It's a sad fact of life that sometimes when a couple separate - or there is a major falling out between family members for another reason - access to children becomes an area of conflict.

Not only can this make life difficult for a non-resident parent after separation, it can sometimes make it impossible for grandparents to maintain contact with their grandchildren.

Naturally, this isn't ideal for the grandparents or the grandchildren. Unfortunately, the law doesn't give grandparents an automatic right to access.

However, that doesn't mean you have to give up on seeing your grandchildren, as our experienced family lawyers may still be able to help you, by recommending a simple, three-step plan of action.

Speak to the parents

If your son or daughter isn't the resident parent, it's possible that they are having their own problems in getting as much access to their child or children as they would like.

Having said that, your first step should always be to talk to both parents if possible and explain your feelings. If, for some reason, the parents aren't willing or able to help, our family lawyers may be able to make contact on your behalf in an attempt to start an amicable dialogue.

Try to arrange mediation

In cases where the resident parent – or even both parents if the problem is a wider family falling out – isn't willing to grant access to grandparents, the next step is to seek independent mediation.

Many of our family lawyers are members of resolution, which is an organisation that promotes non-confrontational methods of resolving family problems without having to go to court.

This involves all parties meeting on neutral territory, while a trained mediator helps to guide everyone towards a solution that puts the needs of the grandchildren first and foremost.

Seek a contact order in the family court

We believe that court action should always be the last resort in family disputes of this kind. Going to court is not only expensive; it can widen family rifts that might eventually have healed on their own.

Nevertheless, where you are desperate for contact with grandchildren and can see no other options, our experienced family lawyers may be able to act for you to secure a Child Arrangement Order in the Family Court.

Where this action is successful, a judge will make an order that ensures you are able to see your grandchildren regularly.

Case studies

Pensions on divorce

A husband contacted our team to help resolve the financial aspect of his divorce.

Schooling disagreements

A mother contacted our team to help arrange which school her daughter was to attend after the father unreasonably challenged her position.

Taking children out of the country without consent

A father contacted our team after his daughter was taken to Egypt without his consent.

Start your online conveyancing quote now

Click below to get an instant quote

woman on a phone

Would you rather speak to us?

One of our friendly advisors would be happy to speak to you.

Call us for free on 0330 107 5052