Peter Daly Principal Lawyer, Employment
Peter is a Principal Employment Lawyer based in London. He specialises in all areas of employment law, with a particular expertise in whistleblowing and discrimination claims.
He has acted in several high profile litigation cases in recent years, Peter represented Jordi Casamitjana Costa, whose case established ethical veganism as a philosophical belief protected under the Equality Act 2010, which was reported globally. He acts for Maya Forstater, Katie Alcock, Allison Bailey and Raquel Rosario Sànchez in their respective claims arising from gender critical beliefs, and advises others in similar situations.
Peter acted for Shahmir Sanni in a whistleblowing claim involving Brexit referendum funding irregularities, in which the respondent Taxpayers’ Alliance conceded all aspects of the claim without the need for a trial. For Maria Bamieh, Peter litigated to the Court of Appeal regarding allegations of corruption at the European Union Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo. He represented Greg Pytel in his claim against OFGEM in which the EAT found that aspects of the legislatory regime covering the utilities sector was incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights, and which resulted in the government legislating to correct that incompatibility. Several of his cases have reached the appellate courts, where they have helped to shape the law.
Crowdfunding has been a particular area of success for Peter. In 2019-20, Peter’s clients raised over £250,000 in third party funding, enabling them to pursue litigation that otherwise they would not have been able to pursue or would have had to pursue unrepresented.
He is an adept negotiator who specialises in settling complex cases without the need for litigation and is as comfortable in negotiation, mediation or alternative dispute resolution as he is in a court or tribunal setting. He has particular expertise around the financial services, tech, and legal sectors; the NHS; traditional and new media; and in local, central and supranational government.
- Maternity Disputes
- Sex Discrimination
- Complex litigation
- Appellate litigation
- Financial services sector
- NHS and Health Sector
- Settlement agreements
- Since 2019 Slater and Gordon
- 2011 - 2019 Bindmans LLP
- 2005 - 2011 MLS Chase LLP
- Studied at the London School of Economics and BPP Law School, London
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Member of the Discrimination Lawyers Association (DLA)
- Legal 500 2020: Next Generation Partner
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Associates to Watch: Peter Daly is described as "smart, precise and very approachable" by one interviewee, who adds: "He is superbly cognisant of the issues surrounding whistle-blowing cases." He offers expertise in a broad range of issues, including discrimination claims and whistle-blowing matters.
- Legal 500 2017 "legally on-the-ball, committed to his clients and always goes above and beyond"
- Legal 500 2016 "imaginative yet sensitive to the immediate needs of any client"..."strong attention to detail"..."an excellent legal mind and analytical skills"