Nick Godwin Principal Lawyer, Personal Injury
Nick is a Serious Injury Lawyer at Slater and Gordon in London with 20 years of experience.
Nick works exclusively with clients who have suffered catastrophic and life-altering injuries. His cases invariably involve serious head/brain injuries, spinal cord and severe back injuries, amputation and complicated orthopaedic conditions. He also represents families who have lost a loved one through negligence.
He is delighted to have been recognised for the work he does helping vulnerable clients and their families: He is lauded as “a power-house lawyer” in the most recent, 2020 Legal 500 Guide and is “sought after for brain and spinal injury trauma” in Chambers and Partners 2020. He is recognised by his clients and counsel alike for his “tenacious ability” and his “never give up approach" and clients also commend him for being “focused and incisive”, “first-class” and one who “inspires confidence and reassurance”.
Nick is a firm believer in early rehabilitation and endeavours to secure interim payments at the first opportunity to assist clients with rehabilitation, treatment and accommodation needs and to help replace lost income. He strives to put together a team of professionals from the outset and can arrange prompt access to professionals who can assist with advising on benefits, provide case management and signpost to other organisations.
Nick acts for children and adults, alike, with or without mental capacity, and his cases attract six and often seven figure settlements, with recent cases including;
- £8M gross for a man in his 20’s who suffered serious head and other injuries when he was struck by a speeding bus whilst running across the road
- £3.3M for a 69 year old lady run down on a crossing who suffered catastrophic head injury
- £2.3M for a man who developed Cauda Equina Syndrome as a result of an accident at work (following a hotly contested and successful trial on liability and defeating the defendant’s appeal to the Court of Appeal)
- £2.3M for a man who suffered a complete SCI following an accident at work
Nick leaves no stone unturned in his unswerving dedication to his clients and, whilst he is a strong proponent of collaboration with insurers, he is not afraid to take cases to court to get the right result where required: He acted and obtained judgement for Maria Sabir (Sabir v Osei-Kwabena) who was catastrophically brain injured whilst crossing the road. The defendant fiercely denied responsibility throughout and fought the claim to trial at which Nick won. The court’s decision, later reinforced by the Court of Appeal, is now a leading reported case often relied on by other claimants and their legal advisers alike. In 2019, he acted for the successful claimant and dependants in a fatal accident claim securing the first ever court award for the dependants’ loss of future financial contributions from their father to the cost of their first properties, breaking new ground in this arena.
As well as representing seriously injured victims, Nick has prepared and delivered many presentations to Family Liaison Officers as well as care and trauma professionals. He also spearheaded the company’s successful tender process in 2019 to secure the company’s presence on a leading London Trauma Trust’s legal panel. He has presented at Scotland Yard, written published articles and for many years he was a contributing editor to a workplace law handbook. He has media experience too and has given interviews to the BBC discussing his role in securing substantial damages for a client whose husband was killed where the employer was found guilty of Corporate Manslaughter.
Nick is a member and keen supporter of various charities including Headway, Spinal Injuries Association (SIA) and Cycling UK, as well as being an APIL Senior Litigator.
- Personal injury
- Brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Fatal accidents
- Complicated orthopaedic conditions
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Up and Coming: Nick Godwin is sought after by clients for representation in cases involving catastrophic brain and spinal cord trauma and to represent families in fatal accident matters.”
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, 2020: “Nick Godwin is a powerhouse lawyer who has a remarkable ability to see the wood for the trees in the most complex cases. He can cut through difficult medical and legal problems and get straight to the heart of the matter.”
- Chambers and Partners 2019, Up and Coming Lawyer: "Very tenacious litigator who is dedicated to his client's cause, has a lot of experience and offers good judgement and great tactical insight."
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, 2017: Nick is "very clever, conscientious and extremely committed."
- Since 2013 Slater and Gordon
- 2010 – 2013 Fentons Solicitors
- 2003 – 2010 RPC LLP
- University of Exeter
- College of Law, London
- Member (Senior Litigator) of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Member of the Law Society