Nick Godwin Principal Lawyer, Personal Injury
Nick is a Serious Injury Lawyer at Slater and Gordon in London.
Nick works exclusively with clients who have suffered catastrophic and life-altering injuries. His cases invariably involve serious head/brain injuries, spinal cord and severe back injuries, amputation and complicated orthopaedic conditions. He also represents families who have lost a loved one through negligence.
Nick is a firm believer in early rehabilitation and endeavours to secure interim payments at the first opportunity to assist clients with rehabilitation, treatment and accommodation needs and to help replace lost income. He strives to put together a team of professionals from the outset and can arrange prompt access to professionals who can assist with advising on benefits, provide case management and signpost to other organisations.
He acts for children and adults, alike, with or without mental capacity, and his cases attract six and often seven figure settlements, with recent cases including securing more than £3M for a 69 year old pedestrian who suffered a catastrophic brain injury and £2.3M for an unbelted passenger who became heavily wheelchair dependent.
He also acted and obtained judgement for Maria Sabir (Sabir v Osei-Kwabena) who was catastrophically brain injured whilst crossing the road. The defendant fiercely denied responsibility throughout and fought the claim to trial at which Nick won. The court’s decision, later reinforced by the Court of Appeal, is now a leading reported case often relied on by other claimants and their legal advisers alike. Nick has fought many difficult cases and leaves no stone unturned in his preparations. He'll often consider taking over claims which have already begun.
As well as representing seriously injured victims, Nick has prepared and delivered many presentations to Family Liaison Officers as well as care and trauma professionals. He has also presented at Scotland Yard and has written published articles. For many years he was a contributing editor to a workplace law handbook.
Nick is a member of various charities including Headway, Spinal Injuries Association (SIA) and Cycling UK, as well as being an APIL Senior Litigator and a recommended lawyer on the Law Society’s Personal Injury panel.
- Personal injury
- Brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Fatal accidents
- Complicated orthopaedic conditions
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Up and Coming: Nick Godwin is sought after by clients for representation in cases involving catastrophic brain and spinal cord trauma and to represent families in fatal accident matters.
- Chambers and Partners 2019, Up and Coming Lawyer: "Very tenacious litigator who is dedicated to his client's cause, has a lot of experience and offers good judgement and great tactical insight."
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, 2017: Nick is "very clever, conscientious and extremely committed."
- Since 2013 Slater and Gordon
- 2010 – 2013 Fentons Solicitors
- 2003 – 2010 RPC LLP
- University of Exeter
- College of Law, London
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Member of the Law Society