Matthew Tomlinson Principal Lawyer and Head of Industrial Disease and Military - North
Matthew is principal personal injury lawyer and head of the industrial disease and military departments for the North at Slater and Gordon in Manchester.
Matthew has specialised in personal injury for over 20 years, with specific expertise in accidents at work, occupational stress at work and military claims.
His expertise has helped claimants secure substantial compensation payments and rehabilitation for a range of devastating accidents involving spinal injury, brain injury, amputation and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Matthew regularly speaks at health and safety conferences and provides bespoke lectures on issues involving safety within the workplace. He also manages relationships with a number of the Organisation and Member Services who work with Slater and Gordon. Matthew also delivers an annual programme of in-house training to lawyers on procedure, liability and assessment of quantum.
Some cases that Matthew has handled include:
- Accident at work resulting in lower limb amputation.
- A police officer forced into medical retirement after suffering a brain injury and poly-trauma.
- A military client suffered a T4/5 spinal cord injury and became paraplegic whilst training in Dubai.
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Matthew has a"good manner, makes informed decisions, displays good judgement and clients like him."
- Chambers and Partners 2017 Band 1: Matthew is "incredibly down-to-earth and very straightforward" and is "one of the best lawyers to work with."
- Chambers and Partners 2018 Band 1: Matthew is "a strong but also pragmatic and realistic lawyer."
- Chambers and Partners 2019 Band 1: "Matthew is a standout player. He's one of those guys who is incredibly robust. His clients must look at him and filled with confidence."
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Band 1: "Matthew Tomlinson is experienced in handling complex, multi-track claims regarding catastrophic workplace accidents, such as amputations, psychological injury and fatal cases. Sources say: "He is very thorough and logical in his preparation, always has a case plan and always keeps it updated, so things are never missed."
- Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Since 1998: Russell Jones and Walker (now Slater and Gordon)
- Huddersfield University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) with Senior Litigator accreditation
- Member of the Pan-European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL).
- Winner of the Young Achiever of the Year award 2010 at the Personal Injury Awards