Deepika Raino Principal Lawyer, Crime and Regulation
Deepika is a Principal Lawyer in our Crime and Professional Discipline/Misconduct team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Leeds.
She qualified in 2001 and acts for professionals facing misconduct, disciplinary and fitness to practise investigations.
Deepika has advised and defended professionals in a wide range of cases involving personal and professional issues in front of, for example the General Medical Council, General Dental Council, Nursing and Midwifery Council, General Chiropractic Council, and NHS England.
Deepika is experienced in making written submissions, and responses to allegations made by the regulators and other inspectors, (for example the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman) with successful outcomes.
She has assisted her clients in applications for restoration and revalidation and represented professionals facing employment/ hospital disciplinary proceedings and in front of Interim Order hearings.
Deepika has represented many healthcare professionals and hospitals at Inquests dealing with all the case preparation, advocacy at the hearing, and any statutory regulation 28 responses required by the coroner.
She has advised organisations and individuals on various issues in relation to statutory frameworks concerning compliance, contractual issues, partnership agreements, and investigatory procedures.
Deepika has experience advising clients on risk assessments, remediation, record keeping, data protection, third party disclosures, and good practice procedures.
She has also considered cases involving whistle blowing, malicious and vexatious complaints, defamation, and research misconduct.
Deepika has received many instructions from defence organisations, insurance providers, and privately paying individuals.
- Doctor suspended from work following allegations of inappropriate prescribing, diagnosing, and record keeping. Secured a contribution towards his retraining costs from the NHS due to their prolonged investigation. Secured favourable GMC undertakings following a GMC Performance Assessment.
- Doctor called to attend a Fitness to Practise Hearing over allegations of dishonesty and inappropriate delegation of clinical work to untrained staff. Successfully applied for voluntary erasure from the Medical Register at the start of the Fitness to Practise Hearing.
- Assisted a doctor who attempted suicide back to unrestricted practice following various GMC health and performance investigations.
- Acted for a doctor with a lifelong mental health condition back to unrestricted practice after successfully arguing the GMC was in breach of its own guidance.
- Dentist faced Fitness to Practise proceedings relating to allegations of poor quality treatment complicated by work undertaken by a dental technician acting beyond his scope of practice. Assisted the dentist in compiling an extensive remediation bundle resulting in a finding of misconduct but no current impairment of fitness to practise.
- Dentist faced criminal charges of assault. Secured no interim order on his registration to practise pending the criminal trial which concluded in his favour.
- Represented a social worker at an Interim Order Hearings in which the HCPC sought an interim suspension over allegations of dereliction of duties. Successfully secured no order.
- Acted for a doctor at an Inquest in which a number of hospital system failures were identified and a finding of neglect was made. Assisted the doctor in a self-referral letter to the GMC following the Inquest in which the GMC decided to take no further action following the submissions made.
- Defended a GP Practice sued for breaches under the Data Protection Act. It was held the Practice was legally obligated to retain the medical information in question.
- Professional discipline/misconduct
- Since 2018: Slater and Gordon Lawyers
- 2017-2018: Weightmans LLP
- 2009-2017: Radcliffes LeBrasseur
- Studied at the University of Sheffield PGDip Law
- Studied at Sheffield Hallam University LLB (Hons) Law
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
Recent Testimonials for Deepika Raino
“Deepika was caring, professional, thorough in her approach and her attention details was what was needed on the day. I had a positive result that day and I am certain that without Deepika’s help this would not have been possible. On the day Deepika knew her legislation and I relied on her knowledge and experience which was very calming in an otherwise stressful environment”