David Hodge Principal Lawyer, Employment
David is a principal lawyer in our employment team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
He advises individuals at all levels on the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment law issues including entry and exit negotiations and workplace disputes. He enjoys particular experience and success supporting senior executives in exit negotiations (including those involving shareholder rights) and conducting complex litigation.
David is recognised for his work in discrimination, whistleblowing and TUPE related matters and is individually profiled and acknowledged by the Legal 500 Directory 2016 as ‘committed, professional and pragmatic’ and for his ‘accessible, pragmatic and considered approach, while being formidable in opposition’. He is especially recommended for tribunal claims and ‘gets the job done’.
Although David’s practice now focuses exclusively on supporting individuals, his clients benefit directly from his significant previous experience acting on behalf of businesses including PLC’s, private limited companies and LLP’s. David is a commercially astute adviser with an eye for the bigger picture and a keen awareness of the view from the other side.
David supports clients nationwide and regularly travels to meet his clients’ requirements and to appear in tribunal. Amongst others, former individual clients include high profile entrepreneurs, wealth managers, scientists, programmers, analysts, law firms and medical practitioners.
Notable matters in which David has appeared include;
- complex disability discrimination (including injury and permanent health insurance) claim against multinational energy company for Senior Analyst;
- high value (£500k+) unfair dismissal and breach of contract/bonus claim (including shareholder considerations) for former Managing Director of Fluoropolymer processing company;
- high value disability discrimination (including injury) claim against publicly traded EPC, maintenance and project management company for Senior Manager;
- complex unfair dismissal, TUPE and equal pay claim against multinational aggregates company and (jointly) multinational technology company for Senior Programmer;
- high profile whistleblowing action against Secretary of State for Health for Clinical Lead Consultant of NHS Trust.
Reported cases - Langton v Secretary of State for Health  All ER (D) 170 (Oct), whistleblowing action against the Secretary of State for Health.
Sharon MacDonald assists David with his cases and her details can be found here.
- Disability discrimination
- Race discrimination
- Maternity discrimination
- Equal pay
- Unfair dismissal
- Termination negotiations and strategy
- Executive settlements and settlement agreements
- Since 2017: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2010-2017: Brethertons LLP
- 2008-2010: Stephens Scown Solicitors
- 2003-2008: Lyons Davidson Solicitors
- 2000-2001: University of the West of England, Bristol - Legal Practice Course
- 1994-1998: Nottingham Trent University - Law LLB (Hons) Europe (with French)
- 1996-1997: University of Montpelier (France) - Faculty of Law
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
Recent Testimonials for David Hodge
“After experiencing sex discrimination whilst on maternity leave, I found David Hodge to be extremely competent in handling my case from the beginning, which concluded with a more than satisfactory settlement. David had an excellent knowledge of the legal points which were relevant to my situation, and was thoughtful and considered in all our dealings, which set my mind to rest during a very challenging time. His experience in discrimination at work cases was clear, and his insight into the employers’ perspective was very helpful. What set David apart in particular, was his confident, calm and objective manner. At all times, his focus remained on mine and my family’s best interests. The settlement which David helped me reach with my previous employers has afforded me much-needed breathing room as I assess my next move, which has been invaluable for me and my new family. I cannot recommend David Hodge at Slater & Gordon highly enough. His experience, professional rigour and calm objectivity was a great asset to my family at a difficult time.”
“Slater and Gordon have provided excellent legal advice. I have received a very professional service from David and throughout this process he has been extremely thorough with providing guidance and provided excellent communication during this difficult time. David has been very clear and detailed each step of the way with courtesy and always been responsive and took the strain out this situation. I could not ask for a better solicitor to deal with my employment issue.”
“David’s pragmatic approach, mindfulness of escalating costs and razor-sharp eye for austere terms and conditions was evident off the bat. Attention to detail must surely be paramount in such times; David and his team were consummate in their approach, ensuring several aspects in my case were amended in my favour. This level of scrutiny was worth every penny of the fee alone. My advice; give David and his team a call and judge for yourself how Slater & Gordon stack up against the competition.”