David Hodge Principal Lawyer, Employment
David is a principal lawyer in our employment team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
He advises individuals at all levels on the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment law issues including entry and exit negotiations and workplace disputes. He enjoys particular experience and success supporting senior executives in exit negotiations (including those involving shareholder rights) and conducting complex litigation.
David is recognised for his work in discrimination, whistleblowing and TUPE related matters and is individually profiled and acknowledged by the Legal 500 Directory 2016 as ‘committed, professional and pragmatic’ and for his ‘accessible, pragmatic and considered approach, while being formidable in opposition’. He is especially recommended for tribunal claims and ‘gets the job done’.
Although David’s practice now focuses exclusively on supporting individuals, his clients benefit directly from his significant previous experience acting on behalf of businesses including PLC’s, private limited companies and LLP’s. David is a commercially astute adviser with an eye for the bigger picture and a keen awareness of the view from the other side.
David supports clients nationwide and regularly travels to meet his clients’ requirements and to appear in tribunal. Amongst others, former individual clients include high profile entrepreneurs, wealth managers, scientists, programmers, analysts, law firms and medical practitioners.
Notable matters in which David has appeared include;
- complex disability discrimination (including injury and permanent health insurance) claim against multinational energy company for Senior Analyst;
- high value (£500k+) unfair dismissal and breach of contract/bonus claim (including shareholder considerations) for former Managing Director of Fluoropolymer processing company;
- high value disability discrimination (including injury) claim against publicly traded EPC, maintenance and project management company for Senior Manager;
- complex unfair dismissal, TUPE and equal pay claim against multinational aggregates company and (jointly) multinational technology company for Senior Programmer;
- high profile whistleblowing action against Secretary of State for Health for Clinical Lead Consultant of NHS Trust.
Reported cases - Langton v Secretary of State for Health  All ER (D) 170 (Oct), whistleblowing action against the Secretary of State for Health.
Sharon MacDonald assists David with his cases and her details can be found here.
- Disability discrimination
- Race discrimination
- Maternity discrimination
- Equal pay
- Unfair dismissal
- Termination negotiations and strategy
- Executive settlements and settlement agreements
- Since 2017: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2010-2017: Brethertons LLP
- 2008-2010: Stephens Scown Solicitors
- 2003-2008: Lyons Davidson Solicitors
- 2000-2001: University of the West of England, Bristol - Legal Practice Course
- 1994-1998: Nottingham Trent University - Law LLB (Hons) Europe (with French)
- 1996-1997: University of Montpelier (France) - Faculty of Law
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
Recent Testimonials for David Hodge
“David’s pragmatic approach, mindfulness of escalating costs and razor-sharp eye for austere terms and conditions was evident off the bat. Attention to detail must surely be paramount in such times; David and his team were consummate in their approach, ensuring several aspects in my case were amended in my favour. This level of scrutiny was worth every penny of the fee alone. My advice; give David and his team a call and judge for yourself how Slater & Gordon stack up against the competition.”
“I have been impressed by David's empathetic approach and by the depth of his professional experience. He helped me with the big picture of what I was trying to achieve.”
“David Hodge has provided a great service for me when I left my previous employer. He provided supportive, sensible and focused advice at the start of the process when I was unsure of my options. He negotiated an excellent severance package for me, holding out for the right deal and built effective bridges with the other side to ensure matters were conducted cordially. I would recommend David to others in similar situations.”