Andrew James Solicitor, Employment
Andrew is an employment law solicitor in the Organisation and Members Services Team (OMS) at the Slater and Gordon Lawyers Manchester office.
He provides employment law services to trade unions, the Police Federation of England and Wales (PFEW) and their members on both a regional and national basis.
Andrew has extensive experience gained during over 16 years of using employment law in a strategic and imaginative way to further the interests of representative organisations and their members.
His expertise includes advising on head office matters such as industrial action, recognition and rule book issues.
Through national work, for example his work with civil service unions, he has used strategic test case litigation to recover millions of pounds in compensation for members and prevented employers from reducing union members' terms and conditions.
Andrew is a skilled trainer and has put together responses to government consultations. Since joining Slater and Gordon he has developed experience of complex civil litigation, judicial review and pensions working for the Police Federation of England and Wales (PFEW).
He has been involved in a number of high profile cases including:
- Metroline Travel Ltd v Unite the Union - industrial action injunction
- Cabinet Office v Beavan & ors - contractual right to pay progression
- Hickey v Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government - contractual right to check-off
- Griffiths v DWP - reasonable adjustments - establishing substantial disadvantage
- Trade Union Head Office Advice
- Police Federation Members
- Employment Contracts
- Pay Issues
- Pension Law
- Disability Discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Unfair Dismissal
- Working Time Issues
- Since 2015 Slater and Gordon
- 1999 – 2014 Thompsons Solicitors (Newcastle and Sheffield)
- 1991 – 1998 David Gray & Co (Newcastle)
- Studied at Durham University and Northumbria University
- ILS Executive Committee member