Couple holding hands


Do unmarried couples have the same legal rights as married couples?

If you live with your partner and are not married, you do not have the same legal rights available to a married couple upon divorce.

14 June 2017

The law

If you are living with your partner, and you not married, the law (in England & Wales) is clear that you do not have the same legal rights available to a married couple upon divorce. This is the case no matter how long you have been living together.

Some unmarried couples are under the mistaken belief that they are “common law” husband and wife and therefore upon relationship breakdown they will have the same or similar rights to a married couple upon divorce. This is a myth and there is no such thing as a “common law” spouse.

As the law currently stands, an unmarried person has no claim for maintenance for themselves (but they do for children), no claim against any asset in the other party’s sole name, no entitlement to real estate or security of tenure (except for in certain exceptional circumstances).

Cohabitation agreements

Entering into a cohabitation agreement can seek to eliminate one party’s potential claim against real estate. It can also regulate how the couple will conduct their finances both during the relationship and in the event of a break up.

Whilst some may consider the law to be harsh on this aspect, others will say it does provide a certain degree of clarity. In short, you’re either married or your not. Marriage is a contract and with that comes the benefits and liabilities of a contract – for richer for poorer, you go with the rough and the smooth. If you chose not to enter into the contract of marriage, why should you get any benefit from it? If you’re not married you won’t be liable for any of the downside (provided you’re not named on any of the liabilities).

All this apparent unfairness can be largely resolved by some forward planning. So if you chose not to get married, but you want to protect you and/or your partner, then consider whether the following would resolve the issue:

  • If one of you is putting more money into the purchase of a property, then make sure you tick the correct box on the TR1 form saying that you hold the property as tenants in common in unequal shares. Then have a declaration of trust setting out what those shares are.
  • If you can afford to buy a property without any input from a third party, then consider holding the property in your sole name and enter into a cohabitation agreement so that a cohabitee cannot claim an interest later on (usually when the relationship ends).
  • Make a Will setting out who will benefit from your estate upon your death – remember, cohabitees don’t automatically inherit on intestate as a spouse would.
  • Speak to your pension provider to see if you can nominate your cohabitee to receive benefits upon your death.
  • If you don’t want to be left with all the debt, don’t have the debt in your sole name when you borrow the money in the first place. Either both be on the credit card (which can cause problems if one uses it more than the other party) or both be on the loan. But remember that you are likely to be jointly and severally liable for the debt, so if your other half doesn’t pay their share the creditor will come after you for it. The same rules apply for a mortgage too.

HM Government is presently considering whether to give greater rights to unmarried couples upon separation. However, there is no guarantee that we will see reform giving cohabitants greater rights in England & Wales, as they do abroad. In the meantime it is best for individuals to seek legal advice to determine how they can protect their legal position upon separation.

How we can help

Slater and Gordon's team of family lawyers have the expertise you need when child maintenance payments are an issue. Call us now on 0330 107 6483 or contact us online today and we will call you.

All the above information was correct at the time of publication.

Find out more from our experts
Businessman sitting on a train
Family law
Cohabitation dispute lawyers
Whether you are part of a cohabiting couple or are simply sharing a property with friends or family, our expert and experienced lawyers are here to help if cohabitation disputes arise.
Group of teenagers on a train smiling and laughing
Family law
The legal difference between marriage and cohabitation
Married couples have greater legal and financial protections than those simply living together. This short guide explains the most important differences.
Young couple playing outdoors with their pet dog
Family law
Cohabitation agreement lawyers
Cohabiting couples often think they have the protection of being a 'common law' husband or wife. The fact is that if you aren't married or in a civil partnership, you have virtually no protection in law and you may need a cohabitation agreement to protect your future.
Woman in the city centre of Watford
Family law
Property rights of cohabiting couples
If you're co-habiting it's essential that you know your rights and know exactly where you stand if your name is not on the title deeds. Slater and Gordon can help to explain these rights.
Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top