Gynaecological negligence claims
Gynaecological injuries can be both traumatic and life-changing. If you’ve suffered an gynaecological injury as a result of medical negligence, Slater and Gordon’s specialist legal experts can help get the compensation you deserve.
Medical negligence experts
Medical negligence expertsContact us
What are gynaecological negligence claims?
As a woman, your gynaecologist is often the first place you go if something feels wrong. At this crucial stage, it's important that your symptoms are taken seriously and that your gynaecologist conducts all the appropriate tests. If your gynaecologist failed to treat you correctly and you're suffering from a subsequent injury or illness, or your illness hasn't been treated in time, you may be entitled to claim compensation due to medical negligence.
How do I know if I have a claim for gynaecology negligence?
Our medical negligence solicitors have secured compensation for many women for a variety of gynaecology error claims. Common gynaecology mistakes can include:
- Delayed diagnosis of cervical cancer and smear test errors
- Failing to notice damage to organs such as the bladder, bowel and uterus
- Failure to diagnose third degree tears after childbirth
- Mistake in taking a patient's history
- Misinterpreting the results, failing to read X-rays correctly
- Not conducting a satisfactory physical examination
- Not taking the patient’s medical history into account
- Prescribing the wrong medication or making a mistake with a prescription
- Not carrying out correct investigations including X-rays, scans and blood tests
- Neglecting the patient
- Tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) damage to obturator nerve
- Keyhole surgery (laparoscopy) errors
- Nerve damage
- Retained swabs and retained instruments
- Damage to organs such as the bladder, bowel and uterus, particularly during caesarean section
- Episiotomy in the wrong place and inadequate repairs to episiotomy and tears
- Medical / surgical mistakes leading to hysterectomy
- Unnecessary hysterectomies
What is considered an unnecessary hysterectomy?
A hysterectomy is a major operation with a long recovery time, and it’s important to note that there are less drastic, less invasive alternatives that should be considered before opting for a hysterectomy. If you feel that you’ve been rushed into a hysterectomy without sufficient explanation or reason, for a confidential discussion about your case.
Slater and Gordon has helped many women who allege that they’ve not been properly advised about the alternative treatments for HMB or fibroids.
We’ve also assisted in cases that have involved the removal of the ovaries during a hysterectomy without obtaining patient consent at all.
How much can I claim for a gynaecology negligence case?
Every gynaecological negligence case is different, and the final amount of compensation awarded will be based on the severity of the injury and the affect the injury has had on your life. Additionally, you’ll also be able to claim for any lost earnings, any long-term care and to maximise the chance of recovery and independent living.
How much time do I have to make a gynaecology claim?
If you believe you have a gynaecology compensation claim, it’s important that you seek advice from a solicitor who specialises in medical negligence cases as soon as possible, as there are time limits in place in England, Scotland and Wales.
Generally, a gynaecology claim should be made within three years from the date the negligence occurred or the date you were first aware that you had suffered a significant injury or illness due to negligence. However, there are exceptions.
Why choose Slater and Gordon's gynaecology negligence soliictors?
Not only do we have many years' experience securing compensation for gynaecological negligence, we also have the utmost sensitivity to handle your case with great care.
We offer home and hospital visits and provide immediate representation and rehabilitation support.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything Slater and Gordon have done to fight this case for us. I appreciate it has involved a lot of people. Please can you also thank the expert witnesses who have provided their expertise and help. Mr and Mrs H (medical negligence client)
I cannot recommend Slater and Gordon enough, throughout the entire period of the case, all the staff have been both very professional, and supportive. Mr Q (medical negligence client)
Kept informed regularly as to how my claim was going, prompt replies to any questions I had, excellent customer service at all times. Excellent service from all staff that have been involved in my claim. Ms S (medical negligence client)