Fatal medical mistake claim
Dealing with the loss of a loved one is a difficult and distressing time. Slater and Gordon’s solicitors can help you get the fatal mistake compensation and justice you deserve.
Medical negligence experts
Contact our medical negligence team today for support with your claimContact us
What are fatal medical mistake claims?
Unfortunately, there are many tragic instances where families suffer from the loss of a loved one where no one is to blame. However, if the loss of your loved one could have been prevented if medical staff had not made mistakes, you may be entitled to compensation and get the justice you deserve.
Why would I make a fatal mistake compensation claim following the loss of a loved one?
We understand that when you’ve lost a loved one, the last thing on your mind will be making a claim for compensation. However, many people who make fatal mistake compensation claims find it can help as:
- It can help them find out exactly what happened – what mistakes were made and why
- We can seek an apology from those responsible
- It can help to fund much needed therapy for the family, such as counselling, following this traumatic event
- If you were financially dependent upon your loved one, it can help with the cost of daily living
We understand just how traumatic it can be to suffer a loss and will provide the empathy, support and guidance needed at this difficult time.
What sort of medical mistakes can lead to a fatality?
There are a number of mistakes medical staff can make that can result in the death of a loved one, such as:
Who can make a claim if there has been a fatal medical mistake?
A claim relating to a loved one who has died as a result of medical negligence can be pursued by a 'dependent' of the person who died. This can include the following:
- The husband or wife of the deceased
- In limited circumstances, a former spouse of the deceased
- A civil partner of the deceased (who had been living with the deceased for at least two years immediately prior to death)
- A child of the deceased
- A parent of the deceased
- A brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or cousin of the deceased
- Any other person who was considered by the deceased as a child of the family
In addition, the executors can bring a claim on behalf of the deceased's Estate for injury or losses incurred by the deceased prior to death, and for any expenses falling upon the Estate which arise from the death.
How do I prove dependency?
The person bringing the claim must be able to show that they were dependent upon the deceased prior to death either financially or for care and assistance. If you were only partially dependent, you may still be able to make a claim. It’s not necessary to show that you were wholly dependent upon them.
What can I claim fatal mistake compensation for?
Dependents of the deceased can make a claim under the Fatal Accidents Act for:
- Loss of the financial dependency
- Loss of 'services' dependency
- The 'statutory bereavement award' which is a sum fixed by the Government. This can only be claimed by specific people, namely the husband, wife or civil partner of the deceased, or children of the deceased who were under the age of 18 at the date of death
In some circumstances, you can also claim for the pain and suffering the loss has caused as well as any financial losses, such as loss of earnings, if you’ve been unable to work as a result of the bereavement.
Why choose Slater and Gordon's fatal mistake solicitors?
Not only do we have many years' experience securing the deserved compensation for fatal medical mistake claims, we also have the utmost sensitivity to handle your case with great care.
We offer home visits and provide immediate representation and support.
Can I change my solicitors to Slater and Gordon?
If you've lost a loved one as a result of medical negligence, and you feel that you're not getting the specialist legal advice you need from your current solicitor, we'll be happy to discuss switching your case to Slater and Gordon. Simply call our experts on or .
Meet the medical negligence experts
Meet our specialist medical negligence team, many of which are considered 'Leaders in their field' with a significant amount of expertise.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything Slater and Gordon have done to fight this case for us. I appreciate it has involved a lot of people. Please can you also thank the expert witnesses who have provided their expertise and help. Mr and Mrs H (medical negligence client)
I cannot recommend Slater and Gordon enough, throughout the entire period of the case, all the staff have been both very professional, and supportive. Mr Q (medical negligence client)
Kept informed regularly as to how my claim was going, prompt replies to any questions I had, excellent customer service at all times. Excellent service from all staff that have been involved in my claim. Ms S (medical negligence client)