Family law

Separation agreement lawyers

A separation agreement sets out your financial arrangements when you separate, enabling you both to live separate lives while you consider where your marriage or civil partnership goes from here.

Read more

Mother holding young son under a tree

Separation agreement advice

Slater and Gordon's experienced lawyers have the expertise to help you make an equitable separation agreement. Call us now on 0330 041 5869 or contact us online today and we will call you.

Talk to a family law expert today

Contact us

What is a separation agreement?

Separation agreements are most commonly used by married couples or civil partners who are considering divorce or dissolution but don't want to rush into making such an irrevocable decision.

They are also used by people who don't wish to divorce for religious reasons, or who can't yet divorce or have their civil partnership dissolved because they haven't reached the 12-month mark. Separation agreements set out your financial arrangements while you are living apart, and generally cover areas such as:

  • Houses and property: Which of you will live in the family home and whether or not it should be sold
  • Childcare arrangements: Where your children will live and what parental access and financial arrangements will be made
  • Mortgage and bill payments: What proportion of these will you both pay
  • Debts: Who will be responsible for clearing them
  • Savings and investments: How these will be managed and divided if necessary
  • Possessions: What will happen to joint possessions ranging from cars and artwork to furnishings and items of sentimental value
  • Pets: With whom the pets will live with and what access the non-resident party will have

Is a separation agreement legally binding?

Separation agreements aren't legally binding in their own right. However, it is still a formal contract and in the event of a dispute it will carry a certain amount of weight in a court of law.

That's why we recommend that you use separation agreement lawyers to draw up any separation agreement. Our separation lawyers have the experience to understand the protections you need, and to draft the agreement as clearly as possible. This is important, not least because in the event that you do find yourself seeking a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, your separation agreement should be suitable for submission to the court where it can be made the subject of a legally binding consent order.

I want a divorce, why get a separation agreement?

There are three compelling reasons why a separation agreement can be a good idea, besides the fact that you can't seek a divorce or dissolution within the first 12 months of a marriage or civil partnership. For example:

  • It gives you time for consideration: Many divorced couples subsequently remarry, having found that they were hasty in seeking the finality of divorce proceedings. Separating under the terms of a properly drafted Separation Agreement can give you both the time and financial stability to think before taking such an important decision
  • It could enable a more amicable divorce: While the notion of a 'no fault' divorce is being discussed by the Government – this has yet to pass into law.
  • It could cost you less: If your divorce is amicable and uncontested, we offer a fixed fee service at £540 + £593 court fees.

If you want an immediate divorce, you may find yourself having to cite unreasonable behaviour or adultery as the reason for the breakdown of the marriage or civil partnership, which can be quite damaging, especially if you have children together.

However, the courts also accept two years of separation as a reason for a divorce or dissolution to be granted, and so a separation agreement can lay the groundwork for an amicable split in which neither party has to be blamed by the other to the detriment of family life in the future.

Contact Slater and Gordon

Talk to one of our expert separation agreement lawyers by calling 0330 041 5869 or by contacting us online today. We offer a fixed fee initial consultation for family matters for £99 for 30 minutes, and we will be happy to discuss your next steps without obligation.

Prices quoted on this page include VAT.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top