Family law

A simple guide to dissolution

Sometimes civil partnerships break down and dissolution becomes inevitable. When this happens, you need an experienced lawyer to help guide you through the necessary steps to dissolving your partnership.

man sitting on the beach staring into the distance at sunset

The dissolution expertise you need

Slater and Gordon's experienced civil partnership dissolution lawyers have the understanding and the expertise you need. Call us now on 0161 830 9632 or contact us online today and we will call you.


Talk to a family law expert today

Contact us

How do I dissolve my civil partnership?

Civil partnerships confer many of the same legal rights as marriage, which means that because they give you financial and legal protections, dissolving a civil partnership is very similar to going through a divorce.

Civil partnerships aren't to be entered into lightly, and the law makes sure that they can't be ended without good cause either. This means that it isn't enough for you to no longer see eye to eye with one another, you must be able to prove that your partnership has irretrievably broken down.

What are the grounds for dissolution of a civil partnership?

In law, the only 'grounds' for requesting the dissolution of a civil partnership are that your relationship has 'irretrievably broken down' after you have been in the partnership for at least a year. This can be due to one or more of the following four reasons:

Desertion: Where your partner has been absent for more than two years

You have lived separately for more than two years: Where the dissolution process can be started if both parties agree

You have lived separately for more than five years: Where one partner can start the dissolution process even without the other's consent

Unreasonable behavior: Where your partner engages in behaviour that you couldn't reasonably be expected to tolerate. This is a subjective test and can therefore be as mild as not helping you with housework to the other extreme of physical abuse.

In relation to unreasonable behaviour, bear in mind that if you continued to live with your partner for more than six months after the last instance of unreasonable behaviour, a court may consider that you didn't find the behaviour that unreasonable and reject your application.

How do I start dissolution proceedings?

As long as you can prove one of the four reasons for dissolution of your civil partnership, it's a relatively simple matter to apply for legal dissolution. Our experienced family lawyers can help you to complete the necessary forms.

If your partner agrees to the dissolution, the court will make a conditional order of dissolution, which will be then be made final six weeks from the date of the conditional order.

However, if your partner doesn't agree to dissolve your civil partnership, you should take advice from one of our expert family solicitors by calling 0161 830 9632 or contact us online today and we will be happy to call you and discuss your next steps without obligation.

Case studies

Pensions on divorce

A husband contacted our team to help resolve the financial aspect of his divorce.

Schooling disagreements

A mother contacted our team to help arrange which school her daughter was to attend after the father unreasonably challenged her position.

Taking children out of the country without consent

A father contacted our team after his daughter was taken to Egypt without his consent.

Start your online conveyancing quote now

Click below to get an instant quote

woman on a phone

Would you rather speak to us?

One of our friendly advisors would be happy to speak to you.

Call us for free on 0330 107 5052