Expert guide

Change of Name

Provided that you are not intending to deceive or defraud anybody you can change your name to whatever you like. If you have children you may want to change their surnames so that the family all has the same surname. Following marriage or a civil partnership your marriage and civil partnership certificate will be sufficient evidence to change your surname. Likewise if you want to revert to your maiden name, your Decree Absolute of divorce or Final Order on a dissolution will usually be sufficient evidence. In all other circumstances you will need a change of name deed to formally record the change. To draft the change of name deed you will need to provide evidence of your current name and address, along with details of your new name.

Download expert guide

Newsroom - woman on tablet

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top
woman on a phone

Would you rather speak to us?

One of our friendly advisors would be happy to speak to you.

Call us for free on 0330 107 5052