Abuse and sexual assault claims

Jehovah's Witness abuse claims

If you or a loved one has suffered abuse from Jehovah’s Witnesses, you're not alone. Contact our specialist lawyers and we will help you get the justice you deserve.

Woman from behind

No Win No Fee compensation

Slater and Gordon Lawyers has extensive experience of supporting those who've suffered from abuse. Our service is guaranteed to be confidential, and our specialist lawyers aim to bring you justice and compensation. Talk to us now on freephone 0330 041 5869 or contact us online to speak to one of our legal experts.

Find out more about No Win No Fee abuse claims

Contact us

What is religious abuse in the Jehovah's Witnesses?

Jehovah’s Witnesses have no professional clergy. There’s therefore no distinction between clergy and lay people as anyone baptised within the Jehovah’s Witness faith are considered ordained ministers. Sadly however, some ordained ministers have taken advantage of their position of trust, and have sexually abused vulnerable adults and children.

As a result of public inquiries and criminal prosecutions, more victims have felt empowered to speak out and report what happened to them.

How do you make a claim for abuse that took place in the Jehovah's Witnesses?

If you've been abused by an ordained minister within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, even if that abuse took place many years ago when you were a child, not only has a criminal offence been committed, but you've also suffered as a result, and you have the right to seek compensation.

Just like cases of personal injury, if you've been injured, physically and/or psychologically, you should be compensated for your suffering.

If you or a loved one have suffered abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, no matter how long ago it was, you should contact an experienced lawyer who specialises in representing victims and survivors of abuse as soon as you feel able to. When you're ready to talk to someone, we're here to listen.

Where has abuse by Jehovah's Witnesses taken place?

We've represented a number of victims who've reported abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, that has taken place:

  • In Kingdom Halls
  • At Jehovah’s Witnesses events
  • At the victim's home

Regardless of where the abuse has taken place, if you've been abused by an ordained minister in the Jehovah’s Witnesses, you should have access to both justice and compensation for your suffering.

What should you do if you’ve been sexually abused by within the Jehovah's Witnesses?

If you’ve been sexual abused by within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, in the first instance, you should report it to the police so they can carry out a full investigation. The next step would be to speak to a specialist lawyer who deals with cases of abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Not only will they seek compensation for the unnecessary trauma suffered by you, but also seek private treatment and support.

We understand that it can be extremely difficult to talk about such traumatic events, but we will provide you with support and advice every step of the way.

How do you know if a lawyer is specialised in representing victims and survivors of abuse?

Abuse law is a very specialised area of law and you need to choose a law firm with genuine expertise. We've acted on behalf of many victims and survivors of abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses and have dedicated specialists in England, Scotland and Wales who have helped them get the justice they deserve.

We’ve worked on some of the most high-profile cases in recent years and are dedicated to ensuring you not only receive the compensation and justice you deserve, but you also get the treatment and support needed to enable you to move forward with your life.

What should you do if the abuse in the Jehovah’s Witnesses happened many years ago?

In many cases of child abuse where the abuser was someone with a position of power, it’s understandable that those who suffered the abuse didn’t come forward to report what happened to them at the time.

This is often the case where the abuser was someone in a position of trust. Therefore, many victims and survivors who suffered abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses many years ago when they were children, only feel able to come forward when they’re adults themselves.

Our compassionate experts understand the difficulties you can face when reporting historic child abuse and will provide all the necessary support and assistance you need.

What is Mandatory Reporting?

If somebody working with children, either teachers, health workers, nurses, sports coaches, youth group leaders, religious leaders, etc. has any reasonable suspicion that a child may be being abused, or something isn’t quite right, then they should have a legal duty to report that suspicion to the police who then have a legal duty to investigate. This is known as Mandatory Reporting.

Currently in the UK there isn’t a general legal requirement on those working with children to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect. However, the statutory guidance, Working Together to Safeguard Children, states that “anyone who has concerns about a child’s welfare should make a referral to local authority children’s social care and should do so immediately if there is a concern that the child is suffering significant harm or is likely to do so.”

Although there is no absolute legal requirement to comply, it requires people and organisations to take it into account and, if they don’t, they need to have clear reasons for not doing so. There are campaigns for Mandatory Reporting in this country, and Slater and Gordon’s abuse law team have been at the forefront of those campaigns.

Will details of your abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses stay confidential?

We understand that confidentiality is hugely important to those who have suffered abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and it takes a lot of courage to speak out about what happened. As solicitors, we’re bound by strict confidentiality and if you decide you want to make a claim, any information you tell us will remain strictly confidential.

As part of your claim, it will become necessary for certain authorised people to have access to your information, such as independent medical experts. However, you can rest assured that no information will be disclosed without your prior authority.

In addition, anyone who is the victim or alleged victim of sexual abuse has a guaranteed legal right to anonymity. If it becomes necessary to issue court proceedings, we can reinforce this by making a court application to protect your identity. Our lawyers are highly experienced in this area and will guide you and be there for you through the process.

How much will it cost to make a claim for abuse that took place within the Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Our abuse specialists offer a free, confidential consultation to provide you with advice on your case.

If you decide that you wish to make a claim, there are funding options available. We’re able to offer No Win No Fee funding, which means there’s no financial risk for you.

If you’ve suffered abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, you can speak to one of our dedicated team in confidence on 0330 041 5869 or contact us online.

We’re professional, yet compassionate and will handle your case with the utmost care and respect.

Meet the abuse law experts

Meet our specialist abuse law team, who are some of the most well-known and well respected experts in the UK.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top