Man walking over bridge

Road traffic accident claims

Hit and Run Accident Claims

Suffering injuries in a hit and run can be devastating for both you and your loved ones, and when those responsible flee the scene, it can leave you wondering how to move ahead. Our hit and run accident solicitors are committed to getting you the compensation you deserve.

Meet our road traffic accident and serious injury experts

Many of our road traffic accident solicitors are considered leaders in the field with a significant amount of expertise.

Tracey Benson, head of serious injury south

Tracey Benson

Head of Serious Injury - South

Matthew Tomlinson, our Head of Serious Injury in the North

Matthew Tomlinson

Head of Serious Injury - North

Expert profile of Richard Gaffney

Richard Gaffney

Principal Lawyer

Richard Crabtree

Richard Crabtree

Principal Lawyer

One of the UK’s leading specialist law firms.

We are proud to have partnerships with national charities and be recognised in the latest legal directories.

The times best law firms 2023
Brake The Road Safety Charity
The legal 500

What is a hit and run accident?

A ‘hit and run’ is any road traffic accident in which one or more of the involved parties fled the scene without stopping to exchange details with anyone else who was involved.

It is against the law to flee the scene of an accident without stopping, or to withhold details such as your insurance information.

The reasons why people may flee the scene of an accident can vary, though can often be the case that people fear the repercussions of their actions, or they are not insured and don’t want to be find out. No matter what reason people may give, they are breaking the law, and can face a heavy penalty or even a jail sentence.

If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run accident, you may be left wondering if it is possible to claim compensation for your injuries or the damage caused. The process may be different when the driver responsible is uninsured or untraceable, but that doesn’t change that you are still entitled to claim hit and run compensation.

How do I make a hit and run claim if the driver is untraceable or uninsured?

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention as soon as possible. Not only will this aid in your recovery, but any medical examination can help evidence the injuries you sustained in the immediate aftermath of the accident. All hit and run accidents should also be reported to the police, and you should ask for a crime reference number.

If you are a motorist who has been hit by another vehicle, you should also inform your insurance company that you have been in an accident and they will make a note of any of the details you can provide. Note that even if you are not at fault for the accident and are unable to provide the details of the liable party, you are obligated to inform your insurer of the accident.

You must have reported the accident to both your insurance provider and the police before you will be able to make a claim for hit and run compensation. All hit and run claims are submitted to the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (who act in a similar capacity to the liable insurer in normal road traffic accident claims).

Claims can still be handled by a specialist road traffic accident solicitor, and it is strongly advised that you seek advice on your own circumstances before starting a claim.

Hit And Run Road Collision | Rebuilding My Life After Catastrophic Injury

Jack was left paralyzed from the chest down after he was involved in a hit and run collision. Slater and Gordon lawyers not only helped him recover compensation but also helped to get his life back on track.

Found this useful? 

Share this video:

What is the Motor Insurer’s Bureau?

The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) is an government-backed organisation established in 1946 to help provide victims of hit and run accidents with a means to claim compensation for the damage and suffering caused by uninsured or untraceable drivers. The organisation will handle any claim made which, under normal circumstances, would have been made to the liable driver’s motor insurance company.

Claims made to the MIB are funded by way of a levy placed on motor insurance premiums, which is paid to the MIB by all motor insurance companies operating in the UK.

What evidence will I need to make a hit and run claim?

Normally, a key piece of evidence you need to be able to make a claim is the name and insurance details of the person you believe is at fault for the accident. As this isn’t possible to obtain in the case of hit and run accidents, it’s important to give as much other information as is possible to help build a picture of what happened.

This will include any details that you can remember of the untraced driver or vehicle, including make, model, colour or, where possible, the registration number. Other evidence should include photos of the scene and damage caused, any CCTV footage that may be available, and the contact information of any witnesses to the hit and run.

Why choose Slater and Gordon

Suffering injuries in a hit and run can be devastating for both you and your loved ones, and when those responsible flee the scene, it can leave you wondering how to proceed. Our hit and run accident solicitors are committed to getting you the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery and move forward.

Our team is consistently ranked highly in reputable independent legal directories, such as Chambers and Partners, and the Legal 500, and are among the best and most experienced injury lawyers in the country. We work closely with medical professionals to ensure each and every one of our clients receives the best possible outcome, both in terms of finances and future care. We also have an in-house rehabilitation coordinator, who is on hand to provide immediate support, allowing you to focus on your recovery.

To start your claim, speak to a member of our team by contacting us online or calling 0330 041 5869.

Talk to us about your case

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Why choose Slater and Gordon?


We are an award winning law firm and have a dedicated team of road traffic accident solicitors to advise and guide you – no matter how complex your situation may be.

Affordability and advice

We're able to offer affordable expert legal advice and can provide guidance on all aspects of road traffic accident claims. Our Initial Consultation provides tailored advice on your situation giving you clear guidance and options regarding next steps.

Tailored advice

We understand that every claim is different – so we are able to provide tailored advice and guidance to suit your individual needs.

Local access

We are a national law firm, with legal experts available locally across the UK. Meetings can be arranged via telephone or video call, to suit your requirements.

Speak to one of our road traffic accident solicitors today

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Frequently asked questions

Will I need to attend a medical examination as part of my claim?

For most personal injury claims, you’ll be required to undergo a routine medical examination by an experienced medical expert, who will discuss your injuries and their impact on your life in detail. They will then produce a medico legal report, which is used as evidence by the courts and solicitors to determine the extent of your injuries and how quickly you might be expected to recover.

How long do I have to start a hit and run claim?

Generally speaking, you have three years from the date of your accident to make a bus accident claim. However, the deadline to start a claim can be different in certain circumstances (for instance, if you are claiming for a bus or coach accident that occurred abroad).

It is therefore important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible following a bus accident. Your solicitor should be able to provide more information about any deadlines that are pertinent to your case.

Can I make a no win no fee hit and run accident claim?

Many of the cases we pursue on behalf of our clients are done so by way of a conditional fee arrangement, more commonly known as No Win No Fee. There are no upfront costs, and if your claim is unsuccessful, you will not have to pay a fee to your solicitor.

However, no win no fee arrangements are not the only way to fund your case. To learn more about the available funding options and which might suit you best, speak to a member of our team.

Can I make a claim for hit and run compensation on behalf of someone else?

If a loved one has been injured in an accident and is not able to claim injury compensation themselves, it may be possible for you to do so on their behalf. Cases where this may be possible include:

  • Claiming on behalf of a child (under 18 years old)
  • Claiming on behalf of someone with diminished mental capacity
  • Claiming for someone with life-changing injuries
  • Claiming after a fatal accident

If you wish to discuss the possibility of claiming on behalf of someone else, our expert solicitors will be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top