Bucket and spade at the beach

Personal injury

Can I claim compensation if I was injured on a non-package holiday?

If you or your holiday party suffer an accident abroad on a non-package holiday, you could claim compensation.

12 February 2016

Many of us now choose to design and arrange our own holidays and do not chose a traditional package holiday. This can ensure the holiday suits your needs perfectly, and may make a saving for your pocket, but what can you do if things go wrong?

In past blogs we’ve advised how, in the unfortunate event of a holiday accident or illness, you would benefit from booking your accommodation, flights and any expeditions as part of a package holiday.

But what if misfortune strikes and you’re injured or suffer food-poisoning on a holiday that is not booked as a package?

Pursuing a claim

In many cases if you are injured abroad, even if you were not on a package holiday, you can still pursue a holiday compensation claim once you are back home in England. European regulations give you rights to bring your claim in England if you were injured in a road traffic accident in another EU member state, whether you were a driver, passenger or pedestrian.

If you were injured in a hotel or other public area in a European country, such as a water park, adventure park, bar or shopping centre, you may well be able to pursue your case in England directly against the insurer.

If you were injured outside Europe in some cases it can still be possible to pursue your case here, in other cases we can assist you by locating expert local lawyers to secure justice for you.

Holidaymakers and travellers involved in an accident overseas are often unaware that they can make a claim once they are back home in the UK, but they can.

How we can help

If you or your holiday party suffer an accident abroad, our No Win, No Fee solicitors can help you with your claim for compensation.

To speak to a member of our family law team, call us on 0330 107 4991 or contact us online here and we will call you back.

All the above information was correct at the time of publication.

Find out more from our experts
Young women smiling over coffee
Employment law
Can your employer dictate when you take holidays?
Under the Working Time Regulations 1998, you're entitled to take paid holidays. Unfortunately, many workers are denied holidays by their employers. Our employment lawyers are here to help if this has happened to you.
Children playing outside with bubbles
Family law
School holiday child arrangements

Our family law experts discuss splitting school holidays for separated parents, and when you need to seek consent to take your child on holiday.

Mother and son spending time together outside
Accidents abroad
Winter holiday and skiing accidents compensation claims
If you've been injured whilst skiing or on a winter holiday and it wasn't your fault, it's possible to make a compensation claim from here in the UK. Slater and Gordon is a specialist law firm with extensive experience of helping clients make claims for compensation when they've been injured in accidents abroad.
Mother and son spending time together outside
Accidents abroad
Cruise and sea injury compensation claims
Cruising on the sea or ferrying to your next holiday destination should be safe and relaxing, but when accidents happen you may be entitled to claim compensation. Slater and Gordon is a specialist claims firm with extensive experience of helping clients who have been injured at sea.
Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top