Hands on the wheel of a car driving along the motorway

Road traffic accidents

Fatal Road Accident Claims

Nothing can ever repair the damage caused when a loved one is lost in a fatal road accident. However, compensation can bring much needed financial support to dependents. Our solicitors have extensive experience in fatal road accidents and are here to support you every step of the way.

Meet our road traffic accident and serious injury experts

Many of our road traffic accident solicitors are considered leaders in the field with a significant amount of expertise.

Tracey Benson, head of serious injury south

Tracey Benson

Head of Serious Injury - South

Matthew Tomlinson, our Head of Serious Injury in the North

Matthew Tomlinson

Head of Serious Injury - North

Expert profile of Richard Gaffney

Richard Gaffney

Principal Lawyer

Richard Crabtree

Richard Crabtree

Principal Lawyer

One of the UK’s leading specialist law firms.

We are proud to have partnerships with national charities and be recognised in the latest legal directories.

The times best law firms 2023
Brake The Road Safety Charity
The legal 500

We’re here to support you

Losing a loved one in a road traffic accident is extremely distressing, and no amount of compensation will repair the damage caused. No one should be left to deal with the impact of losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligent actions, but we’re here to support you every step of the way.

Who can make a claim for a death in a road accident?

When a death in a road accident has occurred as a result of someone else’s negligence, a compensation claim can be made by a ‘dependant’ of the deceased, under the Fatal Accidents Act 1976.

A person is defined as a ‘dependant’ if they are:

  • the spouse or civil partner, or former spouse or civil partner, of the deceased;
  • someone who has been cohabiting as the spouse or civil partner of the deceased for a minimum of two years prior to the accident;
  • parents or a person who has been legally acting as guardian;
  • immediate family, such as siblings, cousins, uncles or aunts; and
  • children by blood, marriage or adoption who are legally part of the family.

If you have lost your partner in a road accident and you were partially or entirely financially dependent upon them, you may also be able to claim. To learn more, you can reach out to our specialist fatal road accident solicitors, who will be able to support you with your personal circumstances. Call on 0330 041 5869 or contact us online.

What does the compensation cover in a fatal road accident claim?

Determining the amount of compensation awarded in the case of a fatal road accident is often dependent upon a number of different factors, such as the circumstances in which your loved one passed way. The areas that will be considered include:

Dependency losses: This is generally the core part of a fatal accident claim and will consider the impact of the loss of your loved one’s income if you were financially dependent on them. Your lawyer will consider the long-term impacts, covering basic income as well as bonuses and pensions.

Loss of amenity: In some cases, it may be that your loved one was treated in hospital for some time before passing, during which they will have suffered a loss of amenity

Financial losses: This should cover the financial cost of caring for your loved one before they passed, such as treatment, travel costs or home adaptations, as well as funeral costs and any legal costs associated with handling their estate. Your lawyer should also consider any loss of earnings, for both you and your loved one, if you’ve been unable to work.

The Fatal Accidents Act 1976 also allows a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner – or, in the case where the deceased is a minor, a parent – to claim a statutory award for bereavement. This is a fixed amount of £12,980 and is paid regardless of dependency.

How do I make a claim for a fatal road accident?

Nothing can prepare you for losing a loved one. When you are ready to talk to someone, you can reach out to our team of road traffic accident solicitors by calling 0330 041 5869, or by contacting us online and we’ll arrange a time that works best for you.

There’s no pressure to have all the answers to hand right away, and you don’t need to discuss everything in one call if you're not ready. We’re here to support you and will take it step-by-step at a pace you’re comfortable with.

Our team is consistently ranked highly in reputable independent legal directories, such as Chambers and Partners, and the Legal 500, and are among the best and most experienced injury lawyers in the country. We work tirelessly to get the best possible outcome for our clients, handling each and every case with compassion and understanding.

To start your claim, speak to a member of our team by contacting us online or calling 0330 041 5869.

Talk to us about your case

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Why choose Slater and Gordon?


We are an award winning law firm and have a dedicated team of road traffic accident solicitors to advise and guide you – no matter how complex your situation may be.

Affordability and advice

We're able to offer affordable expert legal advice and can provide guidance on all aspects of road traffic accident claims. Our Initial Consultation provides tailored advice on your situation giving you clear guidance and options regarding next steps.

Tailored advice

We understand that every claim is different – so we are able to provide tailored advice and guidance to suit your individual needs.

Local access

We are a national law firm, with legal experts available locally across the UK. Meetings can be arranged via telephone or video call, to suit your requirements.

Speak to one of our road traffic accident solicitors today

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Frequently asked questions

How long do I have to start a claim for a fatal road accident?

Under UK law, you have three years from the date of the accident to begin making a claim for a death in a road accident. It can take time to come to terms with your loss, and it is important that you feel ready and able to take the next step. When you feel you are ready, you can reach out to us on 0330 041 5869.

How long will it take to make a claim for a fatal road accident?

It can be difficult to determine how long it will take to process a fatal road accident claim as cases can be quite complex and there are various factors, such as whether the other party’s insurance company accepts liability, that can influence the length of the process.

Once your case has begun, your solicitor may be able to give more information about how long the process could take. At Slater and Gordon, we work hard to keep your case moving forward and will keep you updated on its progress every step of the way.

What if the driver at fault fled the scene?

If your loved one was involved in a hit and run accident where the driver fled the scene, it may still be possible to make a claim. The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) was set up to handle claims resulting from accidents with an uninsured or untraceable driver.

To discuss starting your claim, speak to our team today on 0330 041 5869 or contact us online.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top