Blurred image of car moving at fast speed

Road traffic accident abroad

Car Accident Abroad Claims

Being involved in a road traffic accident can be a worrying and stressful time – and being abroad in an unfamiliar setting can make it worse. Our industry-leading solicitors are here to help you if you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident abroad.

Meet our road traffic accident and serious injury experts

Many of our road traffic accident solicitors are considered leaders in the field with a significant amount of expertise.

Tracey Benson, head of serious injury south

Tracey Benson

Head of Serious Injury - South

Matthew Tomlinson, our Head of Serious Injury in the North

Matthew Tomlinson

Head of Serious Injury - North

Expert profile of Richard Gaffney

Richard Gaffney

Principal Lawyer

Richard Crabtree

Richard Crabtree

Principal Lawyer

One of the UK’s leading specialist law firms.

We are proud to have partnerships with national charities and be recognised in the latest legal directories.

The times best law firms 2023
Brake The Road Safety Charity
The legal 500

Can I make a road traffic accident claim abroad?

It can be difficult to know what to do when you’re involved in a road traffic accident, particularly if you’re in an unfamiliar setting abroad. It’s important to know that, regardless of where the accident took place, if you’re been injured as a result of someone’s dangerous and negligent behaviour, you’re entitled to claim compensation.

Claiming compensation for a car accident abroad can be confusing. The rules governing how to do so can be different in each country, so it’s important to know what to expect and how claims should be handled.

At Slater and Gordon, our car accident abroad solicitors have a wealth of experience handling claims in countries around the world, providing expert advice and support to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, as quickly and as stress-free as possible.

What types of road traffic accident abroad can I claim for?

It doesn’t matter where the accident takes place; the injuries sustained in a road traffic accident can be severe and life-changing. It’s crucial that you understand your legal rights when it comes to making a road traffic accident abroad claim, whether you were a driver, pedestrian, passenger or cyclist.

As with claims made in the UK, any road user who has been injured in an accident that is not their fault may make a claim for compensation. This includes:

  • Drivers
  • Passengers (including taxi and public transport passengers)
  • Pedestrians
  • Cyclists
  • Motorcyclists

How long do I have to make a claim for a road traffic accident abroad?

In the UK, you typically have three years from the date of the accident to begin a claim for compensation.

If your accident happened abroad, the time limit can vary from country to country. In some cases, the time limit is much shorter, so it is critical that you speak to an expert road traffic accident solicitor as soon as possible. Our team have years of experience in dealing with cases internationally and will be able to provide you with all the information you need to make the best possible decision.

Ask Our Lawyers: Can I bring a claim in England for a road traffic accident overseas?

Joanne Berry explains the process of bringing a claim for a road traffic accident that happened overseas.

Found this useful? 

Share this video:

Why should I choose Slater and Gordon’s car accident abroad solicitors?

Whether it is here in the UK or abroad, our expert road traffic accident solicitors are leaders in their field and have a wealth of experience in handling international cases. Our solicitors are on hand to help support you throughout your recovery; from helping you receiving the best possible compensation, to providing access to top-quality rehabilitation and treatment.

Consistently ranked highly in reputable independent legal directories such as Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500, many of our solicitors also hold Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) accreditation, so you know you’re in safe hands.

To start your claim, speak to a member of our team by contacting us online or calling 0330 041 5869. 

Talk to us about your case

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Why choose Slater and Gordon?


We are an award winning law firm and have a dedicated team of road traffic accident solicitors to advise and guide you – no matter how complex your situation may be.

Affordability and advice

We're able to offer affordable expert legal advice and can provide guidance on all aspects of road traffic accident claims. Our Initial Consultation provides tailored advice on your situation giving you clear guidance and options regarding next steps.

Tailored advice

We understand that every claim is different – so we are able to provide tailored advice and guidance to suit your individual needs.

Local access

We are a national law firm, with legal experts available locally across the UK. Meetings can be arranged via telephone or video call, to suit your requirements.

Speak to one of our road traffic accident solicitors today

Call us now on:   0330 041 5869

Frequently asked questions

Can I make a No Win No Fee road traffic accident abroad claim?

It will largely depend upon where you make your claim, and the severity of your injuries. In the UK, the laws for claiming compensation for minor injuries or whiplash have recently changed, though rule may be different in other countries.

We strongly advise you reach out to a member of our team, who will be able to discuss your case in more detail and provide tailored advice to ensure you get the best possible result for you.

Can I action my road traffic accident abroad claim in the UK?

There are circumstances in which road traffic accidents that occur overseas can be pursued in the UK, meaning they are subject to UK laws. For example, you can make a claim in the UK if the individual’s insurer or employer is based in the UK or EU.

As the rules can differ between the UK and other countries, we will always inform you of the laws in each country and offer advice on where it would be best to pursue your claim to get the best possible result.

Can I begin my claim while I’m still abroad?

Yes, you don’t have to have returned to the UK in order to begin processing your claim. Contact one of our expert road traffic accident solicitors to get started, and we can begin working on your claim while you’re still abroad. You can reach out to us yourself, or ask a relative or representative in the UK to contact us on your behalf.

Get in touch by calling 0330 041 5869 or contact us online.

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top