Emma Doughty Head of Clinical Negligence, London
Emma is a medical negligence solicitor and head of the department at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
Emma is an experienced litigation solicitor specialising in medical negligence claims.
As a skilled advocate, she has trained for and was recently awarded by the Law Society the Higher Rights of Audience qualification in June 2016, making her a Solicitor-Advocate.
During her career Emma has dealt with a wide variety of complex and high value claims.
These have included securing compensation for clients who have suffered as the result of delays in diagnosis of cancer and other illnesses, amputations and injuries during birth and during labour.
She has developed a specialism in both claims concerning delays in diagnosis of cancer and more specifically in breast cancer and birth injury cases.
Emma was the lead solicitor running the Paterson litigation. On 13 September 2017, Emma successfully negotiated settlement of a £37 million global landmark settlement which encompassed over 750 claims and made provision for recovery of compensation for future claimants. The settlement was approved by the Court, allowing hundreds of claimants to finally receive compensation for their injuries. Mr Paterson’s patients treated in the NHS have long since been compensated and Emma has been instrumental in ensuring that private patients have also achieved justice and for bringing the issue of private sector regulation and patient safety to the forefront of media attention.
She has been recognised by the Legal 500 as a Star Individual.
Emma was awarded Outstanding Achievement of the Year at the Personal Injury Awards 2018.
- Labour and birth management claims
- Delayed diagnosis of cancer (including breast, bowel, skin and prostate)
- Since 2013 Slater and Gordon
- 2008 - 2012 Wilkin Chapman
- Bristol University
- Nottingham Law School
- Recognised by the Legal 500 in 2017, 2019 and 2020, Emma is recommended as a "Leading Individual"
- Accredited by the Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel
- Chambers and Partners 2020: Emma Doughty is noted for her significant ability in cases concerning delay in diagnosis and treatment, with a focus on brain and birth injuries. Market sources say: "She is tenacious, thorough and she handles difficult issues very well."
Recent Testimonials for Emma Doughty
“I have been very happy with the level of service provided. Emma always kept me fully informed on my case and gave clear guidance on what would happen. I have no hesitation in recommending Slater and Gordon. Very professional at all times.”
Ms T, Birmingham
“Excellent communication and clarity throughout the case. Always kind and considerate. Always realistic about the outcome. Excellent service.”
Katherine Dickson, Stratford Upon Avon
“Very professional and understanding. Pleased and relieved with the outcome after a very distressing time.”
Mrs L, Birmingham