Model house under hat and scarf

Property conveyancing

Cavity wall insulation problems: What are my rights?

Around six million homes in the UK have been fitted with cavity wall insulation. But what are your rights if you have cavity wall insulation problems?

02 January 2019

It is estimated that around six million homes in the UK have been fitted with cavity wall insulation since the heavily subsidised scheme was first introduced in the 1990s.

Billed as an effective way to cut heating bills and hit the Government’s energy targets, it is only in the last few years, however, that the cracks have started to show.

In 2015, thermal-imaging company IRT surveyed 250,000 properties with cavity wall insulation and found problems in half the homes.

Experts now claim that while the cavity wall insulation was incorrectly fitted in some cases, it was unsuitable in other properties and should never have been offered at all.

How do I know if my cavity wall insulation is defective?

Cavity wall insulation is supposed to make homes warmer and more energy efficient.

However, it has now emerged that if installed incorrectly, or in unsuitable properties, significant problems with damp can arise.

The damp can in turn lead to further property damage including issues with electrics and even health problems in severe cases.

The issues with cavity wall insulation can often take a few years to fully come to light, but if it has been installed then you should look out for the following problems which could be indicative of defects:

• No noticeable increase in heat or temperature

• Mould

• Condensation

• Damp

• Damaged brickwork

One of the main problems identified with inappropriate installation has been found to have occurred during the pre-assessment process.

Many houses had the insulation installed when it was not appropriate to do so, for example, in areas where properties were exposed to a lot of rain such as Wales and Cornwall.

What can I do if I have a problem with my cavity wall insulation?

In the first instance, you should write to the company setting out the details of your complaint and the steps required in order to resolve the issue. You may find that you will require a surveyor to assist in identifying the extent of the problem.

If the installing firm is still trading then it is their responsibility to put the problem right and a claim can be brought against them to include the cost of:

• Extraction of the faulty cavity wall insulation and refill if appropriate

• Damage to furniture

• Redecoration

• Treatment for health problems contracted as a result

Reputable energy suppliers should have registered a guarantee for the cavity wall insulation with the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency (CIGA).

When to seek advice

However, there are often limits on payouts under the guarantee, which your bill for rectification works may far exceed.

In the absence of a response or remedy to your problem, you should obtain independent legal advice.

For more information, call us on freephone 0330 107 5087 or contact us online.

All the above information was correct at the time of publication.

Find out more from our experts
Group of smiling people hugging each other in the park
Family law
Beneficial ownership of a property
If you're co-habiting but don't own the property you share, you may still be entitled to an interest in the property and this is known as beneficial ownership. Our experienced family lawyers could help you to establish your property rights in the event of a split.
Causal business meeting
Property conveyancing
Legal advice for landlords
Whether you want to set up a tenancy agreement or you have to evict your tenants, Slater and Gordon can assist you with expert legal advice for landlords. Our specialist landlord solicitors are here to assist you.
Military professional
Family law
What is a declaration of trust?
Also known as a deed of trust, a declaration of trust is a legally binding agreement that sets out the shares between joint owners of a property, as well as anyone else with a financial interest in the property.
Woman in the city centre of Watford
Family law
Property rights of cohabiting couples
If you're co-habiting it's essential that you know your rights and know exactly where you stand if your name is not on the title deeds. Slater and Gordon can help to explain these rights.
Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top