Eye surgery claims
We heavily rely on our vision and are usually incredibly protective when it comes to our eyes. If you've suffered medical negligence relating to your eye surgery, Slater and Gordon’s specialist eye surgery solicitors can help get the compensation you deserve.
Medical negligence experts
Medical negligence expertsContact us
What are medical negligence eye surgery claims?
There are many eye procedures which are carried out successfully every day by ophthalmic surgeons.
However, when mistakes are made during eye surgery it can have serious consequences, such as the original condition becoming much worse, or even a more serious complication, such as loss of vision. If you have suffered as a result of negligent eye surgery, you may be entitled to compensation.
What are the most common types of procedures which have resulted in negligent eye surgery claims?
There are many types of eye procedures. Some of the most common include:
- LASIK, LASEK, PRK or Wavefront-guided LASIK Surgery: These procedures involve lasers which are used to make adjustments to the internal structure of the eye, with an aim of improving vision on a long-term basis.
- Cataracts surgery: This procedure involves an ophthalmic surgeon removing the cloudy lens from the eye and replacing it with an artificial lens.
- Retinal detachment surgery: This procedure involves an ophthalmic surgery remedying the retinal detachment to prevent loss of vision and keep the retina in place while it heals.
- Surgery related to diabetes related eye condition: When surgery is carried out to treat conditions such as damage to the eye’s blood vessels.
- Surgery related to glaucoma: When surgery is carried out to remove excess fluid that causes a build-up of pressure in the eye which can damage the optic nerve and the patient’s vision
How does medical negligence occur when undergoing eye surgery?
In the majority, people undergo eye surgery successfully. However, mistakes can happen, this can be anything from failing to take a full medical history to lack of care or accuracy during treatment. In most cases of negligent eye surgery, it occurs during diagnosis or treatment.
How much compensation will I get for my eye surgery claim?
Naturally, every compensation claim for eye surgery is different as it depends on the seriousness of the injury and the affect it has had on your life. In addition, you may have losses, such as loss of earnings, care costs, aids and equipment which will also be included in your claim.
How much time do I have to make an eye surgery claim?
There are time limits in place in England, Scotland and Wales. Generally, a claim should be made within three years from the date the negligence occurred or the date you were first aware that you had suffered a significant injury or illness due to the negligence, however, there are exceptions. It's therefore important to contact a solicitor who specialises in medical negligence as soon as possible.
Why choose Slater and Gordon's eye surgery solicitors?
Not only do we have many years' experience securing compensation for eye surgery negligence, we also have the utmost sensitivity to handle your case with great care. Not only do we have eye surgery solicitors who are experts in this field, but we also have midwives and nurses in our team.
Meet the medical negligence experts
Meet our specialist medical negligence team, many of which are considered 'Leaders in their field' with a significant amount of expertise.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything Slater and Gordon have done to fight this case for us. I appreciate it has involved a lot of people. Please can you also thank the expert witnesses who have provided their expertise and help. Mr and Mrs H (medical negligence client)
I cannot recommend Slater and Gordon enough, throughout the entire period of the case, all the staff have been both very professional, and supportive. Mr Q (medical negligence client)
Kept informed regularly as to how my claim was going, prompt replies to any questions I had, excellent customer service at all times. Excellent service from all staff that have been involved in my claim. Ms S (medical negligence client)