Richard Scorer Head of Abuse Team
Richard is Head of the Abuse Team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Manchester. He represents clients all over the UK.
He has been described as “one of Britain’s leading specialists” in the field of abuse law.
During his career he has acted for victims in many high profile cases. Richard has particular expertise in cases involving religious organisations such as the Catholic Church, Church of England, Jehovah's Witnesses and Islamic institutions such as mosques and madrasahs. He also represents many young women affected by child exploitation across the country, and acts for victims of abuse with learning difficulties. Richard acts for many victims and survivors in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA).
Richard has written and lectured extensively on the subject of child abuse. His book Betrayed: The English Catholic Church and the Sex Abuse Crisis was published in 2014 and Richard also co-authored the APIL Guide to Child Abuse Compensation Claims published in 2011.
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners: an “eminent practitioner” and a “pioneering lawyer”. His “clients find Richard to be totally supportive”.
- Legal 500: Richard is named as a "leading individual" and is described as a “brilliant” lawyer leading an “outstanding department”.
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Richard is "enormously able."
- Chambers and Partners 2017 Band 1: The "fantastic" Richard Scorer is highlighted by commentators as "a leader in the country" on child abuse claims and frequently lends his expertise to the most complex and nuanced of cases.
- Chambers and Partners 2018 Band 1
- Ranked Recommended Lawyer and Leading Individual in The Legal 500, 2017.
- Chamber and Partners 2019 Band 1: "Richard has a phenomenal reputation...he puts you at ease and makes everything as easy as possible."
- Since 2014 Slater and Gordon
- 1992-2014: Pannone LLP, including 5 years as Head of Serious Injury
- Founder and executive committee member of the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL)
- Fellow of Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
Recent Testimonials for Richard Scorer
“Everything explained well, especially in delicate circumstances. First class on everything.”
Ms P, Lincolnshire