I’m very proud to be described by my clients as being ‘willing to go the extra mile’, a ‘bare-knuckle fighter’ and someone not to be ‘underestimated’.
Get to know Kate
I’ve been acting on behalf of clients whom have sustained life-changing serious injuries since 2008 and I am highly specialised in this area of law.
In particular, I’ve dedicated my career to representing seriously injured clients, both adults and children, who have suffered brain and spinal cord injuries.
I’m focused, not only upon achieving the best possible outcome for my clients. I work hard at an early stage to secure interim payments to fund specialist rehabilitation, support and care to maximise the chance of recovery and future independence. All too often, I hear from my clients that they have been advised that they or their child or their parent will not walk again or will not speak again. With specialist rehabilitation intervention funded through interim payments, many of my clients have exceeded those expectations. I work alongside specialist Neurorehabilitation professionals (such as case managers, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, neurorehabilitation consultants and speech and language therapists) to maximise my clients’ rehabilitation potential.
In everything that I do, I strive to provide individuals with straightforward legal advice and seek to obtain compensation to meet their significant needs and provide them with financial security for their future.
Unfortunately, many of the clients I have represented did not initially seek advice from law firms who have specialist experience in acting on behalf of those who have sustained serious neurological injuries. Fortunately, I was able to take over those cases and am pleased that I was able to turn them around and deliver successful outcomes for those clients. My cases include:
- KP (2020): I represented a pedestrian who was hit by a vehicle and suffered a spinal cord injury. I obtained a significant interim payment to enable my client to purchase two properties which were adapted to create one fully accessible property. I also obtained funding for inpatient rehabilitation, care and case management.
- MNL (2019): I took this case over from another firm of solicitors part way through the claim and represented a client who suffered a very severe traumatic brain injury and required 2:1 care 24 hours per day. I obtained significant interim payments to purchase and adapt suitable accommodation and to fund needed care and rehabilitation. I successfully settled the case achieving an eight figure settlement for my client
- DR (2019): I represented a client who had suffered a spinal cord injury following an industrial accident. I was able to secure several interim payments, one of which was for £1,200,000 to purchase and adapt suitable accommodation. I successfully settled the claim for my client for a sum of £4.5 million in compensation plus periodical payments of £505k to be received throughout my client's lifetime.
- AM (2018): I represented the family who had sadly passed away as a result of a road traffic accident. The claim was complex as there were issues with dependency and there were international elements. However, I successfully settled the claim for my client who received over £1 million in compensation.
- ML (2015): I represented a client who had suffered a traumatic brain injury. The -0.75% Discount Rate applied and I successfully settled the claim for my client who received a lump sum payment and periodical payments for his lifetime in the sum of £2.25 million.
- PJ (2013): I represented a client who had suffered both a traumatic brain injury and an above knee amputation. I was able to successfully settle this claim for approximately £6 million.
- LG (2012): I represented a client who had suffered a traumatic brain injury. The fault of the accident was initially disputed but following a liability trial, the judge found in my client's favour. I successfully settled his claim for £2.45 million with periodical payments of £135,000 initially, increasing to £156,000.
- LB (2010): I represented a client who had suffered a spinal cord injury as result of a road traffic accident and settled his claim for £8.35 million.
- JT (2009): I represented my client who was a passenger in a vehicle which was hit by a bus. The fault of the accident was disputed and no offers were made by the other side. I attended a liability trial liability where the judge found in favour of our client on a 50/50 split basis.
For the past several years, I’ve been recognised by independent legal guide, Chambers and Partners.
I’ve previously been ranked as a ‘Notable Practitioner’ and an ‘Associate to Watch’. Most recently, the 2022 edition ranked me as a ‘Star Associate’ and stated: "Kate Nicklin is a senior associate with considerable experience handling high-value personal injury mandates. She regularly acts on cases involving brain and spinal injuries following road traffic and workplace accidents."
"Kate is a first-class performer and a rising star."
I am also ranked in the Legal 500 2022 edition as a 'Rising Star'.
The extra mile
I’ve been involved in raising significant funds for local charities over the years and have undertaken several charity bike rides including the Coast to Coast (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) and the fantastic Great North Bike Ride (Seahouses to Tynemouth).
I have also held various trustee roles including with Headway and the Citizens Advice Bureau. I am always looking for opportunities to give back to the community.
Kate Nicklin kept me up to date at every point in the case, always willing to go the extra mile to help. She organised a care team who helped me regain my life. Nothing was ever too much and when you phoned it was direct to your solicitor and not a call centre. Having settled my case with a happy outcome, I can now move on with my life…They are more than a solicitor they are an extended family. 5* Trustpilot Review for Kate Nicklin